T5 swap..

T-5 swap!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The Borg Warner T-5, IMHO, in it's stock form (say it came from a 5.0 stang), has got to be one of the biggest POS (piece of *****) transmissions ever put into a Ford. Stick with a rebuilt M5R2!! The only T-5 even worth consideration is the BW (Borg Warner) World Class version, or a Tremec.

Phil

Last edited:
I'm looking for cost effectiveness.

I'd rather keep shelling cheap trannies than ones that have parts discontinued on them..

If you kill the M5R2...

You must drive the car pretty damn hard. You only other option would be the Tremec then, but it will be no picnic making it work on you SC engine, mods to the tranny shift turret are required, maybe not with the Tremek TKO though, might want to look into that some
Also gotta mod the driveshaft, and maybe the trans crossmember

probably more than that, oh yeah, the clutch slave cylinder, gotta do something about that!!

Can you see where I am coming from? No transmission is made to speed shift unless it resides in a NASCAR and even those are not!!

Build yours trans up good with good parts, and don't drive it like it's and auto (i.e. without the clutch;-) and it will last you a good long time!!

Phil

all mustangs 87 and later had world class t-5's...Liek any tranny you miss gears ya gunan eventually blow it...Ive run many a ten second pass on a stock t-5 *(world class)

They may be WC T-5's but...

The factory T-5's had a pretty steep first gear which can kill a trans quick. Plus, the torque ratings on the factory T-5's were lower than that of the one offered in the FMS catalog and other retailers. These transmissions are good for slightly modded 5.0's/4.6's, but too much torque, and it will blow quick!!

Phil

Pretty much anything would be better than the M5R2. I have been through Three of them. First manual car that I have ever had the tranny go out on me.

Back