Supercharged Taurus Won't Start! Help!

malvin25

I'm sure some of you have heard about the few crazy Taurus owners that put on that beasty eaton supercharger. Well, I put one on over winter and currently the car won't start. But let me start more towards the beginning. OK its a 95 3.8 taurus. I got SC heads, lower intake, supercharger and plenums. I'm using brand new 36# injectors and an 80mm MAF that I believe is out of a 98 mustang GT or cobra. When I got it all done it started up and ran fine. Idled beautifully and ran nice and fast, lol. I drove on I believe three separate occasions only around my subdivision. The next time I went to start it it wouldn't start. It turned over but wouldn't start. I also have an EEC tuner in there allowing me to make all of the chip changes. I sent my settings to DMX(fellow super 3.8 taurus man) and he said he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary in tuning. I had a mechanic come over and hook up his scanner. The scanner didn't read anything at all. It should have atleast thrown a code for the egr which isn't even on the car. At that point I thought it was a problem with the PCM although it doesn't seem to be. The car is getting spark and fuel. I recently tried starting the car without the tuner, on stock settings and it started and ran for crap for about 10 seconds. I then changed my MAF transfer function to that of DMX's in case that was a tuning issue, the car didn't start. Around these start times however I think I've come close to the problem. I'm pretty sure the car is too rich, i.e. fuel on the tips of the plugs and the exhaust was kinda black spotted wet if that makes sense. So I'm currently thinking tht the car is too rich flooding the engine causing it not to start, but why? From what I've heard and what I think it is either a problem with the tuning, the injectors are too big, or something like the fuel pressure regulator being bad. I think that's all for now. If you guys have any questions post a reply, email me at malvin25@hotmail.com or im me at Jaredm25. Thanks for your guys' time and help. Jared

Not much help, but....

Hows about posting some cool pics of your engine/car? Still sounds electronic in natures. Have you checked the crank sensor? Is the rest of the 3.8L stock? Could have blown a head gasket or cracked a piston. Do a compression check and stuff.

No codes on the EEC scan huh? Very strange.

Phil

Are you using the Taurus EEC or an SC EEC? If it's the Taurus EEC, have you changed the 'crank fuel pulse width'? When you go up in injector size, you need to cut back the pulsewidth or it'll flood. For instance, I went from 30# stock injectors to 48# Accel's. So I had to multiple the stock pulse settings by 30/48 (.625) to get the right amount of fuel. I'd guess the Taurus EEC is programmed for 15# or 19# injectors or whatever is stock. So you might be dumping twice as much fuel as you need at startup.

Good luck
Steve

Jeez, im in dire need and you want pics, lol. Well, I'll post one or click on the links for more. Its the tuner for the taurus and yes I changed the crank fuel pulsewidth. If anyone wants to see the tuned setup give me your email and ill send it to you. Also just to make sure they sold me 36ers they are a dark blue is that right? Keep the suggestions coming fellas.
http://members.cardomain.com/malvin25
superford link below sig.

Attachments

• supercharged.jpg
    supercharged.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
Pull the connector to the maf off and try to start it. EEC should pull default values that should let it start, even if different injectors are there.

Are you sure you are getting spark at the right time? Could timing be way off? Cam position sensor out of position?

On the SC we have Crank and Cam sensors along with DIS ignition. How about you?

I don't believe we have crank and cam sensors. Well, pulling off the connector is somewhat what I'm going to try today. I'm going to rehook up my stock MAF and as far as tuning only program my injectors in. That should tell me if its a tuning issue. -Jared

i sure hope that bottom end will hold up. people try to put blowers on reg. 3.8L birds and the bottom end lets go because its not as strong as the SC block. Hope thats not the case with you. I have no clue how strong your motor is..but i hope it works out for you. Your problem sounds like a timming issue. Maybe it ran fine until the computer re-learned eveyrthing. Disconnect the battery for a few hours and try that again. Sounds dumb, but how knows.....could work. Maybe it ran fine until the computer started to learn everything. just a wild guess.

Any luck yet? There is nothing I can think of (short of some act of God) that would cause the sudden no start condition. The bypass tube + fernco fittings I sent were a perfect fit for me, I dont see how they would be any different on yours.

If all else fails with the regular cranking, you can try cranking with the pedal to the floor (lets PCM know you want to clear out the possible flooding)

Good luck man

If you changed your MAF transfer to match my values that may have just added to the problem, its has to match the Maf that YOU have installed. If you can get some pics of it or find any numbers or brand names on it it may help narrow it down, I think you said it was for a 96 stang GT, but are you sure? Where did you get that info?

For now you should try stock Maf + new injectors to help isolate the problem.

Hey, I changed my settings on the tuner to only the injectors and hooked my stock MAF back up. The first time I tried to start it I held the pedal down, but nothing. I then got out and cleaned the front three spark plugs(they were a little crusted from when i was running rich, from the gasoline) I tried starting it again holding down the pedal and I heard that whining blower in action. I had to keep my foot somewhat on the gas if I let off she died. About an hour later I went back out and she started on her own and I didn't have to press the gas to keep her going. Let it run for like 5 minutes. It seems alright, idles a little rougher than before, but I'm going to try and get to and clean those other 3 spark plugs. Also DMX I need to talk to you but I'll send you a PM on the TCCA.

Your starting problems sound like a vacuum leak. Check all the connections from the airbox all the way to the intake manifold.

What type of hose are you running from the supercharger top to the intake. I think you will need some high temp silicone hose or pipe for that area.

Under boost and supercharger heat, I think that hose will just blow off.

few questions

I'm using brand new 36# injectors and an 80mm MAF that I believe is out of a 98 mustang GT or cobra.

Problem number 1... How did you put the transfer functions into the EEC if you dont know where the MAF came from? I'm assuming you did put those in correct? If not, well thats a Major problem....

Also....

It looks like your not running an IC?

How much boost are you making?

Are you running a Stock Bottem end?

Chris

Last edited:
Yo, I think it's fixed since its starting. The only reason it isn't running like a champ is my bad air tubes which have small leaks, thats why I'm not driving the car, have to get those fixed. The GT and cobra MAF's have the same part number so I don't know nor does it matter where the MaF came from. I need the numbers for that curve if anyone knows where to get them? I'm using my stock MAF right now. I didn't increase the bottom end at all nor did DMX. I know you SC guys say that it won't hold up with the power and I know that Taurus people say it will. I guess I'll find out the long and hard way. DMX has been running strong since JUly and he is currently using an intercooler, but I am not. Jared

hmm

What about my other question...

How much boost?

Or if you havent trompted on it yet... what pulley do you have on thier? Is it a stock Supercoupe pulley?

Chris

That's a sweet Taurus

I'll bet after you plug those leaks and get the proper data on the MAF, it'll run great.

I've got a 98 SHO that's my daily driver and I'm planning on installing a centrifical after my SC's are done. Do you have a preference for a Taurus site?

Thanks, Lee

Back