Is it possible and what is all involved???

aplvlydrtybird

Hey everyone, I have a 91 sc 5 speed that spun a rod bearing, and i found a 94 sc auto that spun a main bearing, and i was thinking about buying the 94 sc, buying an engine and turning it into a 5 speed, but heres my questions...1. how hard would it be to do this tranny swap from auto to manual? 2. what is all involved and can i do it? I am somewhat knowledgeable about cars and i have some friends that will be able to help me out. 3. will my m5r2 tranny housing bolt up to a 94 sc, and will i need new clutch parts? 4. What is the difference between the 4r70w and the m5r2? which is better? 5. How hard is it to switch the clutch quadrant from my 91 to the 94? 6. Any electrical diffreneces between the auto and the stick? Thanks guys some help with this would be great.

trans swap article I wrote a couple years ago.

That should answer most of your questions. As far as electrical differences, you will need to get a '94 style trans harness, or change the connector on your 5-speed harness to the '94 style trans connector, relatively easy. Also you should get a '94 5-speed EEC.

Mounting the clutch pedal is a pain, but everything else should be a bolt in. Read the article and come back woth questions.

But personally I would get a running engine in the '94 with the Auto trans. Drive it for a while like that and get it sorted out before modifying it. If you do the trans swap on a car of unknown history you may be asking for trouble.

Back