Turbocharged 351 in a Super Coupe a reality

drools.......drools more....
i bet that can pass anything on the road...except a gas station that is.

nicely done.
Ive been wanting to put a 351w in a t-bird...but im a broke college student. I cant wait till i can finally get my own garage so i can work on a project like that.

--dz--

Wayne,

Wow...It looks great !....I can't wait to see the dyno sheets. Please let us know how it feels to drive a 10 second SC.

David

Wayne Strikes Back!

Cool work man. Have you driven it? tuned it? Does it run like a toggle switch or streetable? Any quirks to fix or does it purr like a kitten.

If that thing is tame and mild mannered yet good for 120mph+ trap speeds then you will make a lot of folks insanely jealous!!!!!!!

Looks great from here!

Micah

Great setup and all and certainly that's enough motor for the car, but one must ask why not use a Cleveland instead of the Windsor? wouldn't fit? Couldn't get one?

Nice

Very nice Wayne,i missed seeing this in person last night.I had to work and got there after 10;30.once you have broken the engine in post some awesome numbers for all to see!It looks like it was worth the wait.Excellent!

Thanks for the compliments.

A Windsor is much more common than the Cleveland and shares many parts with the 302. Many of the parts I have are from 302 mustang and tbird. There is a much better selection of aftermarket parts as well.

The DFI does not have a toggle, but you can save and upload different files on the fly. You need the laptop to do it. The car is very streetable and it shouldn't be a problem at all. There is still lots of tuning to be done, and I haven't turned up the boost yet.

I am installing a fully built AOD in a couple of weeks. The near-stocker is already slipping when if shifts third full throttle at low boost.

Boost is fully adjustable. Right now it's set at the minimum, 7 psi, and the turbo should have no problems running 20+ with the right tune and some race fuel.

It will be a while before it sees the dyno or track for some all-out numbers.

Last edited:
I have to admit that I've thinking about the same thing as I have a 351W at my disposal with a C-6 tranny. Although after seeing that in there, I might just go with the 351 with fuel injection. I've been thinking about adding an M112 pullied to produce around 8 to 10 lbs of boost. And, of course, liquid cooled too. It looks pretty tight in there though. I'm curious as to the cost, minus the turbo. I want to know how much I'll be putting into mine just to get close to 300 hp on the road, (before SCing it). I've been looking at the AFR heads and the victor jr intake modified for FI. I'm thinking of turning up the compression closer to the 9.0 to 9.5 range. I know that means less boost, but I don't want 20lbs of boost. Around 15 is the max that I'd want to safely go. Not sure if I can do that with a CR of over 9 though. If I were you though, you might want to try and find a C-6 tranny from (in my case) an F-150. That tranny will hold up to all the abuse you can give it. I'm not sure that your built AOD will last all that long...Besides, I think that C-6s can be had for less than a built AOD. Not as good of mileage, but you DID put in a 351... I like it though. It's refreshing to know that others are doing what I'm planning on. Be sure and let us know some #'s on that.

Just to note..I have a worked aod in my turbocharged 302 cougar, Was built to handle 1200 hp..So they say..Has succesfully held up to 748rwhp thus far...Get it built right..Nooo problems

Wished SCs were 351 from the start.

Good show. Hope to see more 351 birds with SC trim. I was so excited when I saw my first SC in 89 but then disapointed that a good V8 wasn't there. Hope to have a finished V8 bird with same weight distrib. soon. Will be a manual trans though.

Any idea on the weight difference. Handling?

Wayne,

This is very interesting- seems that the bar has been raised again to a much higher level. Everyone here i'm sure would like to know how this was done and how much it costs. Sounds like the SC may eventually be king of the hill thanks to what you did.

You realize that if you work all the bugs out you would make this car the best and fastest overall sport/luxury coupe in the world.

This is what i was looking for, but just didn't know how to go about achieving it.

Please share your information with us if you don't mind when you get it all done. i know it's going to have some mind blowing numbers. awesome engineering and development!!

hititbig0.gif

Things like this makes it hard to get rid of the SC. Gives me inspiration :)

Alex

The custom upper intake is what lets if fit under a stock hood.

There is room for twins but there will be compromises. I already have a custom alternator bracket and modified power steering/AC bracket. There is room for me to put AC back on this car. You would have a really tough time running twins and retaining AC. I also chose to keep the battery under the hood instead of moving it to the trunk.

Once you have committed to doing the kind of custom work as I have, you can pretty much fit anything you want under the hood. It's just a matter of how much time and money you are willing to spend to get it done.

Back