Freakish Hard Starts - Pleeez Help!!!

Stevie_B_SC

The '94 automatic tran SC is having trouble turning over but after I let her sit for a minute or two, or three, the fuel pump sounds like it's firing up and then she'll start. Is that the fuel pump I'm hearing? Do they tend to die off slowly like that?

Clarify.

What does trouble turning over mean?
Do you not hear the fuel pump when you are having trouble?
What exactly is the problem.

Starting, i reckon. She wont start most of the time. She'll try, like, it'll roll over continuously until the battery dies if I let her. But what I usually do is just let it sit for a minute with the key turned to the power on position and then i hear the fuel pump kick on, at least that's what I think i'm hearing, and then I can start right up. Occasionally, increasingly less infrequent, it'll start right up, no worries. Hope that clarifies.

Thank you!

Can't conclude that its the cam sensor. Could be fuel pump (doubt it), could be crank sensor, could be fuel filter. I'd recommend you pull codes and see if that gives you any leads. Also, when it doesn't start, look to see if the up-arrow on the tach stays lit while cranking. Also try this. On each start attempt, turn the key off completely, not just to the acc position, for 2-3 seconds and try again and see if there's any difference.

Next time instead of letting it die. Crank it for 3 seconds then stop. Turn the key off. Then crank it again for 3 seconds then stop. Turn the key off. Then crank it again for 3 seconds. Do that until it starts, or you get tired of it.

If it starts within 5 or 6 tries, it's your cam sensor. When the cam sensor fails, the engine computer will try and guess when it should fire which spark plugs. Since our coil pack only has 3 coils, it fires 2 plugs with each attempt. So the ECU has a 1 in 3 shot of getting it right. So it should get it right after no more than 6 tries. If not, then you need to check for spark, and fuel.

Do you have either? Check fuel pressure when cranking with an external gauge.

try hitting reset button for fuel pump in trunk next time and see if that helps. Mine did that a couple times out of the blue and when I hit reset it would allow pump to work like normal and it would fire right up . The reset never seemed tripped, I think the thing may have been a little flakey so pressing on it cleared it up. Been okay since. Just something to try

Occasionally, increasingly less infrequent, it'll start right up, no worries. Hope that clarifies.

Clear as mud Stevie....is it getting better or worse ?

Are you touching the gas pedal while cranking it over ? I ask because If you hold your foot to the floor while cranking, it shuts the fuel off.

When you first turn the key on (ignition position) the pump will run for a few seconds then shut off until engine starts. The sound you hear, may be the pump shutting off.

When the car starts, does it act like it's flooded and smoke for a few seconds or just run like normal?

Does it do the same thing hot or cold ? If only when hot, try priming the fuel rail by turning the innition off and on 3 times for about 3 or 4 seconds each time before you try starting the car. This will clear the rail of any hot fuel and may help.

David

Thank you all very much for the info. Still not exactly sure what it is, but feeling pretty confident it's not the cam sensor as I can try and try repeatedly to start her up until the battery dies if I was so inclined. The best fix for the time being seems to be turning the key to let the electricity run through and then just waiting until I hear the hum and then she'll start every time. It seems like the fuel pump has developed an attitude.

Nonetheless, thank you all very much for the information.

Stevie B

Patience is the answer

Stevie,

If I understand you correctly this is the process:

Hop in
Turn key immediately to start
No worky worky

Hop in
Turn key to on
All lights on dash come on
Buzz, whir, clickety, clack
Silence
Start
Works every time

Sounds to me like you need a bit more patience. I have always waited for my girl to go thru her little routine before I start her up. Look at it this way...this is the only lady you'll only have to wait 3-8 seconds for before she's ready to go.

:D

Back