My Car Just Died,(can't believe my luck this yr)

mikey

I can't believe my luck this season with the T-Bird!!! I just went out and started her to go and get a toggle switch for the fan, normal as normal is, I started it and all was good, let idle and warm up as usual, still good, then bammm, she just died like that. Didn't even engage it in gear or anything?? Tried restarting and she cranks, but no fire!!! So I checked to see if I had fuel pressure on the rail, and there was a little at first, but then nothing, just a drizzle(this is with key on). I have a brand new fuel filter(2 wks old) and I always treat it with slick 50.

What I'm starting to question now is obviously the fuel pump? Since I've put her back on the road this year, I've added a 10% od pulley on the SC and all new gaskets on the engine, and right away there was a noise at WOT(a friend described it as detination), anyways I'm now thinking the noise I was hearing where maybe signs of my fuel pump on the way out, and that is probably my current problem????

Input on this would really help!!! Thanks in advance!!!!!

fuel pump

listen for the fuel pump when you cycle your key-if you dont hear it, and there is no pressure at the rail-you probably either have a bad pump, relay or fuse-

lol, i went over a set of railroad tracks one time and it tripped that stupid switch in the trunk and i sat there forever wondering why it wouldnt start....

mikey said:
I can't believe my luck this season with the T-Bird!!! I just went out and started her to go and get a toggle switch for the fan, normal as normal is, I started it and all was good, let idle and warm up as usual, still good, then bammm, she just died like that. Didn't even engage it in gear or anything?? Tried restarting and she cranks, but no fire!!! So I checked to see if I had fuel pressure on the rail, and there was a little at first, but then nothing, just a drizzle(this is with key on). I have a brand new fuel filter(2 wks old) and I always treat it with slick 50.

What I'm starting to question now is obviously the fuel pump? Since I've put her back on the road this year, I've added a 10% od pulley on the SC and all new gaskets on the engine, and right away there was a noise at WOT(a friend described it as detination), anyways I'm now thinking the noise I was hearing where maybe signs of my fuel pump on the way out, and that is probably my current problem????

Input on this would really help!!! Thanks in advance!!!!!

The pump only runs for 2 seconds if the engine is not running. You need to hook up a gauge to be sure.

Jeff

Did you check to see if your HB bolt was still there?

I always ask this question every time I see a post about a no start situation that is not easily explained. Check to see if you Harmonic Balancer bolt is in place. If it is not, you have a little bit of work ahead of you. The HB must be replaced! Do not try to reuse the old one, as it has failed.

Second, run a code test on the EEC and see if you pull any codes.

This should point you in the right direction instead of just guessing and spending major $$ throwing parts at it.

Good luck!!

Phil

Re: Did you check to see if your HB bolt was still there?

phils89sc said:
I always ask this question every time I see a post about a no start situation that is not easily explained. Check to see if you Harmonic Balancer bolt is in place. If it is not, you have a little bit of work ahead of you. The HB must be replaced! Do not try to reuse the old one, as it has failed.

Second, run a code test on the EEC and see if you pull any codes.

This should point you in the right direction instead of just guessing and spending major $$ throwing parts at it.

Good luck!!

Phil
Your smarter than you know, that was it!!!!!!! I was checking out some posts yesterday after this hapenned, and read stuff about the HB causing this too! So I went to look and found half a HB bolt on the ground! I consider myself very lucky now because this happened in my parking lot, no real damage so far, but it could of happened on the highway!(scarrrrry) Could this have tripped the initeria switch or is my mind runnin'?

I was also previously hearing a sort of clattering noise at near WOT, this could have also caused that, but i'll wait to see!

A few questions I do have is what would cause my center HB bolt to snap? How did the HB fail? And more important, is there a better replacement?
Thanks to all for the time!!!!!!!

HB replacement time...

What happens to the HB is the eventual deterioration of the rubber elastomer band that holds the balance ring to the HB hub. Once the ring gets so deteriorated that it can no longer keep the balancer ring from spinning independantly of the HB hub. Well, once the ring spins, the balance of the whole HB is thrown off. This causes very high Freq vibratiions that you cannot usually feel, but are just enough to snap the crankshaft bolt off. Once the bolt breaks, there is basically nothing to keep the HB hub from "walking" its way off the crankshaft snout and you end up where you are now. You should be very thankful that you caught it now before it walked off much further, cause at that point, the hub snaps off and half the HB aluminum shaft ends up stuck on the crank snout, BEHIND THE FRONT OIL SEAL!! A real PITA to fix!!

So, I am glad you found this now before it became a true nightmare. About the replacement bolt, I got mine at a Ford dealership, and I have heard people saying we should ask for one for the Stang, that the SC bolt had been discontinued, but when they looked up the two part numbers, one the original SC number the other the Stang (96 3.8), they were the same.

Good luck, and keep us informed!!

PM me if you need more help!!

Phil Stocker

Back