has anybody made their own raised SC top?

Bacondoggy

just curious if anyone made a raides top - I mean hmmm $300 or get a piece of aluminum about 1" maybe, and just bolt it up???

spacer doesn't do it, it is all in opening up the outlet into the IC tubes. I had one made for my car but at the costs today it is better to buy one.

I'm in the middle of modifying one. I'll post some pics when I finish. I'm adding a 1 inch spacer but like aaron said I'm also making the outlet cross section bigger where it is necked down.

i made one for my first sc before you could buy them. by the time you machine up the spacer, get it welded on, set up and machine the throat bigger and hand blend out all the cutter marks for flow, once you figure in your labor and outside costs, you cant make one for the cost of just buying it.

raised top

i made a 2" raised top. It turned out great. (IMO)
I did it by cutting the stock top and then adding a 2" spacer that I cut out of a solid block of aluminum. Here's a pic. of the pieces. and then the end product.

top1.jpg

engine1.jpg

The 2" raised top didn't fit under the stock hood and I also needed to add 2" to my intercooler tank for the IC tubes to fit.

I'm making a 1" raised top for a friend of mine right now.

ooh ooh - could you make me a 1" maybe 1 1/2" (I dunno if that would fit under the hood) - if so, how much $$ would you want? I would even give you an extra top (and the "supercharged" IC if you want) ;)

hey

while on this subject... can i ask what is the "average" top raise? Im always seeing, 3/4 inch, 1 inch... 1 1/2, and now 2.. is there that big a difference from the 3/4 and 1 inch?
-damon

Yes there is, matter of fact there is alote The intake system is just like our exaust, CHOKED!! The more air flow the better you'll run!

correct me if i am wrong, but isnt the cross section of the output throat is all that really counts. once that cross sectional area is equal to the smallest cross sectional area of the ic tubes, the height becomes a moot point? without doing the math, it seem like that can be accomplished with a 3/4 or 1 inch top
jim

I understand what you mean but I would say not necessarily. I mean it is a sealed system if that whole raised top is pressurized, the more area you have for air, naturally the more flow you get (I know probablly 1" would be about the size to make the opening ideal). so by making the top, intercooler and any part of the system bigger you will have less backpressure (is this statment correct people? - I believe so but if not please correct me), and better overall flow. its like saying why open the intake valves an extra 2 thousandths of an inch (or whatever bore I dunno) - I mean its such a small change, but our SC's need EVERY bit of intake we can get...

Mike8675309 said:
You might want to just e-mail tbird88 and see if he will make one for you.

He has made one before but I don't see them on his for-sale site. I'm not sure of the cost, but I bet it will be one of the less expensive ones.

http://www.datarecall.net/~tbird88/index/parts/4sale1.htm
He does some really cool stuff, but I know he's REALLY backed up on these tops. I'm still waiting for the one he's doing for me. He said that mine would be the last one he does "to order." Said he wants to make a bunch up first, and sell them on a first come, first serve basis. The demand got so high when he added them to his for sale sight, he got totally buried with requests. So as far as I know, he's just trying to get his head above water before he starts selling them again. In other words....get in line!!!
;)

-Jeff

I don't doubt it. Some of the stuff he does takes a lot of labor for the first few until he has everything streamlined. I like the thought that went into his top regarding sloping the top so that even with the increased high, the tubes still bolt up with the proper angle.

At some point in time he might have to look at farming out some of the machine work just to keep up with orders.

I'm a bit jealous as I have to track down a machine shop that will fab something up for me. I've got ideas, but not the tools, nor the knowledge to get it done myself.:(

I fabbed one up out of sheet metal and replaced the upper tube with 3" pipe. It cost about $30 all together including the 3" mandrel bent pipe and maintains full 3" cross-sectional area without going over 3/4 inch higher. Don't be afraid to think out of the box.

3/4 top

cut out the bottom flat out of throat .....welded 3/4 in bars on bottom flanges..............after nouching out the openings to match the ones on the flanges............... cut down to 1/8 at the throat openinig....................then drilled holes in 3//4 bar....works great........also sanded the paint off the 3.8 and lines on both ic,s tubes.................. sprayed with clear paint.................looks great:D :D :D :D

XR7 Dave said:
I fabbed one up out of sheet metal and replaced the upper tube with 3" pipe. It cost about $30 all together including the 3" mandrel bent pipe and maintains full 3" cross-sectional area without going over 3/4 inch higher. Don't be afraid to think out of the box.

How about some pics?

Aaron

Back