Home porting 89 SC blower, any tips?

phils89sc

I want to port out my 89 SC's backup blower. Any tips on what type of grinding bits to use? Where to cut, where not to remove material from? I have done cast iron heads before, but never aluminum anything.

What bit can I use that will NOT clog much?

Thanks

Phil

I just used a rotozip saw to do the rough cuts, and then used a large metal file like the ones used to sharpen lawn mower blades to smooth out the cuts. buy plenty of rotozip bits though, they will break after a little useage. much faster this way.

i grinded the inlet on all sides of the case and inlet plenum outlet as far as possible, leaving about 1/8th inch contact all the way around.

then grinded the outlet vee a little more than 1/4th inch all the way around- grind down those screw recesses too.

last, i grinded some of the inlet geometry extending the vee shape towards the front inside the casing. within the vee shape there's a notch point on the bottom inside the case- i grinded that down a little to extend the sweep area of the rotors to help it pick up a little more air and reduce rotor chattering noises.

with all of that done, on a stock pulley i can get 15 psi at 4500 rpms. with a 5% pulley you'll get close to 17 psi on a stock exhaust, but this of course is not good. heat becomes a factor with flow issues if you have a stock IC and then you will have detonation. hopefully you have upgraded your exhaust and not run into this like me.
i am very pleased with the increased power though.

Last edited:
If you port your 2nd gen M90 blower, you will get a louder blower. Maybe a little more HP. Mine didn't impress me much.

A ported 3rd gen though? WHoa.....yeah, it rocks.

Micah

i allso have a back up blower, and complete motor.im interested on doing the porting to it allso. i thought i seen this topic before with pics but i cant seem to find it anyone have the link?

If you port your 2nd gen M90 blower, you will get a louder blower. Maybe a little more HP. Mine didn't impress me much.

louder as in more of that cool blower whine.
is their any blower rebuild kit that i can get from ford.
today i just found my front seal on the blower leaking.

Back