BHJ Balance question

dakotaflstf

Bought a new BHJ and went to install it last night but after going through the installation instructions i am confused on the BIG black letters that say to have this unit balanced to your engine. What's up with that as I thought I would not have to worry about that with this balancer.

Also, I wasn't informed about the honing situation. How much is everyone taking off?

If you use a stock pulley, the pulley needs to be balanced. The BHJ is already balanced.

As far as the honing, it is done to match the balancer to the crank snout. You need to get an accurate reading from the snout and hone the balancer to a 1.5mil interference fit. Don't try to hone it yourself, unless you are a machinist - it only costs about $30 to have it done correctly.

When I bought mine, I was told several times before I even had it ordered what I needed to do for the install.

Do you have the install tools? I have them for loan if you pay the shipping both ways.

Aaron

Thank you for the offer, but I do have the installation tool. I will take your advice and get a machinist to hone the BJH. I took different location measurements on the shaft and it has a slight taper towards the engine side. It increases from 1.373 to 1.386. I had my buddy take the measurements also to get a second opinion and he came up with the same. I guess I'll take it to the machinist with the higher number. I was hoping to be able to just put this thing on and be done with it. I am also very tempted to just get a new one from Ford and send the BJH back.

Mine didint need honeing.The interference fit was right when I got
my BHJ balancer,it was on the tight side.

I put mine in the oven about 250 degrees.And used propain to freeze
the crank ,then pushed it on.

ford unit?

Does the stock pulley need balanced when using a ford balancer? How much is ford charging for it?

Re: ford unit?

JWXR7 said:
Does the stock pulley need balanced when using a ford balancer? How much is ford charging for it?

Also I believe that Ford only sells them as a unit for that reason.

Thanks for info. Mine has some runout when I watch the pulley with engine running. Probably going to be changing it soon.

just did my balancer bhj

had it machined 3 thousandths $20.00
I used the polished pulleys from march
just ran it today for 1st time seems to run the same as it did with the stock unit and it looks much better
g/l

Back