fan switch

please go to 5/29/03 and look at the question HIGH SPEED FAN??????. the time of the thread was 11:19 and there were 21 replys and i know you will find all you are looking for in the replys.that one question alone gets my vote as to the #1 question posted on this forum. by experience, replace the thermistat with a cooler one and buy the sensor for your fan with the copper tip. napa sold me one that was plastic and they dont work as well. bought mine cheaper and better at advanced auto parts. art

I just did this today, and after 3 tires I was successful. At first I ran a little 14gauge wire to a 10amp switch then to a 30amp circuit splicer thing. Well that just melted the switch right off, even the wiring. So I decided that I needed a bigger amp switch and a bigger wire. So I ran a 10 gauge wire from a 35amp switch to a 30amp fuse then a 10gauge wire to the fan power and a ground wire from the fan to the cars ground. Well that burned the switch out as well. At this point I realized what I had done wrong. I had wired the switch up to the fans Hi Speed power wire. And that was more than any switch could handle. So then I went all out. I ran a 10gauge wire from the fans low speed wire to a 50amp switch mounted under the dash. Then Put a new fuse hookup into the fuse box in the engine compartment. Which was a 80 amp fuse, then a 10gauge wire from the fuse back to the switch. This work perfectly. No wires getting hot. No sign of anything overheating. Car runs cool. I can cool down the car with the car off. I can turn off the fan if I am on the freeway. I love the control. And I dont think I will burn up the fan because I am using the low speed switch.

Hope this helps, sorry if it is a little confeusing, I am not a good writer :(

--lance

cut the 14 wire

just open the ircm and find the 14 wire pin and cut it about 4 in away from the ircm...............change stat 180...FAST FREDDIE:D :D

Back