this is puzzling

Bacondoggy

put my 89 eec in started the car it loped like a 5.0 with an oversized cam 10 times too big - and it wouldn't idle - then I smelled an abuntant of gas so I turned it off and scratshed that... it runs WAY under par with the damn hypertech chip in it, when I take the chip out and have the regular 91 eec in it it misses/backfires and seems like its running on 5 cylinders. So I am led to believe that the hypertech chip may have re-burnt the eec and therefore the computer is looking for the hpyretech chip and it can't find it... the best air/fuel ratio is with the hypertech - but even that you know its way off - I think its running lean... 89 eec ran so rich it made my eyes water... ooh this is frusterating. Anyone know how to reprogeam an eec for oem specs or erase everything (not d/c the battery or taking the eec fuse out)??? could ford do it??

I'm almost positive that you can't reprogram the EEC with a chip like you are saying. So I would rule that out.

What year is your car I thought you had a 91, or were asking if you could swap computers (the answer is no in case you didn't get an answer) or something like that.

If all you are doing is removing the chip and starting it, you will probably have to at least drive it to give the EEc a chance to catch up.

Jeff

I hope I don't regret getting involved with this because it seems you're in way over your head.

First off, I read your other post also and you can't run a '89 processor in your '91. There were to many changes and it won't work at all.

Second, the chip doesn't reprogram your EEC. In fact the EEC would rather it wasn't even there. If you remove the chip you remove any influence it has on your car.

Third if anything got fried or screwed up it was when you put the '89 EEC into the '91 car's wire harness. Some of the wire locations are in different places and some things are completely different. You could have perminently damaged some sensors or relays. I have no idea what exactly because I looked at diagrams of the wire harnesses about 8 years ago when I was trying to see if this would work and don't remember. I do remember it won't.

Put the right computer back into it and start over. I think you would be better off taking it to a capable shop and telling them what you did. Bring a bag of money with you.

Vernon

ok well luckily I didn't fry anything, because I have the 91 EEC with the chip in and it is running like its crappy old self :p - first I took the eec out and ran just the 91, and it got about twice as worse... then I put the 89 in and it got wrose yet (hard to believe), then I put the 91 eec with the chip in and it seems to be its crappy normal self. I think I may take the chip out again, leave the 91 eec in and put the stock MAF back in and mess with the IAC's and see if I can't get it running right...

Back