Fuel Smell with Defrost On

ThunderCoupe94

This afternoon i went to the store to get some grub in the 94 SC and it was rainin so i had the defrost on and i started smellin a fuel smell wit the defrost on. I turned it off and it went away. Then on my way home it happened again the same thing. What could it possible be? Broken Fuel line? i am not to familiar with fuel systems so i wanted to make sure b4 i started messin around with it. Any info is appriciated.

Jay

check the bend on the fuel line coming down out of the tank. I had the rubber part of the line rub on the body until a hole developed and the line leaked. Fumes were bad with windows down but had nothing to do with the defrost.

same thing happend to me about a crack fuel line from the gas tank.
After years of rubbing along the chassis, it finally raptured.
Also, it had nothing to do with the defrost thought.
Check for leaks along the passenger side

Just Checked And...

Just checked and i have leaks on my passenger side right in front of my rear wheel. How do i go about fixin it? What in the heck could it be? And is it bad to drive like that to a place to get it fixed? Just wanna cover myself so nothin happens to my ride.

Also it isnt comin in to the car through the defrost anymore just that one day.

Jay

The way I fixed mine was dropping the tank part of the way down until the pressure line was far enough down i could manipulate it. Then find the hole where the line is leaking. Cut the line and go to the auto store and get about 8 inches of high pressure fuel line. Large enough that you can fit it over the existing line. I think I used something like 3/4 but anyway slip on a couple of clamps. Slide the new line over the cut then make sure that the cut is close to the center of the new hose and tighten the clamps. Watch out when you cut the line it is pressurized so when you cut it some fuel will spill. To avoid that you can release the pressure by changing the fuel filter before cutting the line. I never had any problems after that and the whole thing cost like 5 bucks to fix better than the Ford replacement fuel lines.
theid

Back