Question About Harmonic Balancer

mikey

My Harmonic Balancer just gave out(damn thing) and I'm going to get a BHJ Damper when I can afford, but I was wondering?
Is it possible--for the meantime, to use one off a 3.8 EFI engine? Are they the same does anyone know? They look the same from a visual!
I understand cautions if it will fit in, or would It be better waiting until I can afford BHJ(yes, I know)? Another question is since the balancer failed, should I replace the crank sensor? I visually inspected mine, it looked good, but has 196K Kilo's(I think it;s orig.)

One thought I had on this hole mess is since the balancer failed, I ran my engine for a few kilometers before it actually broke, would this cause me any internall damage??????I mean wobbling everything around inside like it shouldn't move, or is my mind runnin'???

Also, any tips & cautions on how to remove the rest of the balancer off the crank snout(behind oil seal)and that damn bolt broke inside the crank snout for the balancer!!!

All in All, I must say I'm glad it broke, so I can get on with it!! She was runnin a bit rough at high speed before, I'm hopin' that was it????:rolleyes:

YOu will need one from a SC. The EFI ones have an imbalance in them. You can tell by the different thickness of the outer ring.

Check the classifieds here and Ebay if you need a used one. But you stil should get a new balancer later on.

Back