Aftermarket Moonroof?

Jeremy_K

Has anyone had an aftermarket sunroof or moonroof installed? if so, does it leak or have other problems. I'm thinking about getting one installed on my 90 xr7.

In my opinion, one of the WORST things you can do to a car. Factory sun/moonroofs have drainage channels in them. Aftermarket ones do not. The only thing keeping water from getting in the car is a piece of rubber, and eventually, it WILL leak. Usually sooner than later. Don't do it.

I haven't had one installed, but from what I have heard, they are nothing but trouble. Leaking being the main problem. With that said, there might be some really reputable shop that could do a bang up job.
I've been thinking about modding a set of T-tops form a Trans-Am or something to install on my SC....more of a thought than a reality. I'd like to know if anyone has ever done this, and how much of a hassle it would be.

Good luch,
-Jeff
:cool:

I may be going against the grain here, but my 94 has an aftermarket sunroof (it was there when I bought the car, I didn't install it), and I absolutely love it. It doesn't have drain channels of course, but it doesn't leak, even if I shoot water at it with a garden hose. It is removable, which is nice. I wish it was a factory one, but it's better than not having one at all.

-Rod

I put an aftermarket one in my 87, and it never leaked a drop. I loved it. One of my friends has a 93 SC with an aftermarket electric one. I even slides back inside the car like the factory one.

Shawn
Thunder139

It's all about the installer. If they know what they are doing, and you are not shopping on price so they can take their time, I can't see why they can't do a good job. Heck, the can put skylights in homes and not have them leak over 20 years. Ya just got to do it right.

moonroof

I went to the ford dealership to see about getting one put in, salesman gave me a pamplet with two diffrent styles. One was were the glass slid back on top of the roof, decent looking for 800. Other was exact one they installed from factory with drains and also 5 year warrenty for 1200. Expensive but at least you know it's done right. Thinking of doing mine, just got save a little more money. I don't know about everyone else but I hate not having one in my car, it's a nice luxury:cool:

This isnt the time to search for the cheapest price. Look for the best shop. A good shop can do a great job on it. You will spend at least $700

Back