PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Thunderbird SC

1BADSC
06-01-2003, 01:51 PM
Chances are it will never happen. Just read in Car & Driver today, that the Thunderbird is cancelled again, 05 or 06 will be the last year.

GREATWHITE666
06-01-2003, 08:43 PM
sounds like it's time for some serious a$$ kickin'....
-Damon

Mike8675309
06-01-2003, 10:16 PM
I've got no problem with them canceling it's current incarnation. I think they went the wrong way with it. It should have been Ford's version of the Nissan Z. Instead it became a poor version of GM's performance Caddilacs.

They tried to appeal to the mid 50's guys who dreamed of having one in their youth. And while they did find some market, I think costs were awful high and production numbers never turned the corner. Yes, it was deemed a low production vehicle. But a Prowler, it wasn't.

I think they would have more sucess if they head towards the idea of a first generation T-bird, and the generation that our car is from. Find a way to meld the two attitudes into a performance oriented two door hot rod. Compete with BMW and win.

1BADSC
06-01-2003, 10:51 PM
The day any ford branded car can compare with a BMW will be the day Henry Ford turns over in his grave. LOL. No Ford that I have been in has ever compared to any BMW I have been in.

Killer SC
06-01-2003, 10:56 PM
well the fact that they cost 60K(base) might be a factor with the lack of sales.

1BADSC
06-01-2003, 10:58 PM
Where did you see a T-Bird at 60K base. All the ones I see are between 45 and 50

Killer SC
06-01-2003, 11:07 PM
the ford website, I'm in Canada so may'be that's why

1BADSC
06-01-2003, 11:24 PM
That must be it. I think they are way overpriced even if they were 35,000. I would not pay more than 28-30k for one.

charged92
06-01-2003, 11:42 PM
There was talk in January about a supercharged 3.9 litre V8 Thunderbird. 390 hp and 390 ft-lb at 3500. It was a concept car, part of the Living Legends series. Don't know if we will see it though.

Robert Kohlman
06-02-2003, 12:20 AM
Hey 1BADSC,

In 1989 when the Thunderbird SC was Motor Trends Car of the year it was aimed at and competed directly to the new BMW M-Series. Ford designed the car to appeal to the performance oriented buyer that wanted a rear-drive platform which was still the choice of most European manufacturers. The BMW's built in the late 80's and early 90's were not any more stylish or better performing than the T-birds. They just had the "Snob Appeal" of the BMW badging. I think that it takes a 700 series BMW to equal the ride and comfort of an SC. Don't get me wrong, I have driven a lot of BMW's and I think they are great cars.

In its day the SC was way ahead of its time in both design and overall performance. Unfortunately it was still viewed by most as overpriced just like todays T-bird. I agree with you as to todays T-bird. Ford wanted to cash in on the retro styling and didn't build a T-bird for the next generation of car buyers.

The only Ford that I would consider buying is an 03 Cobra. My friend bought one in the spring and it is a very well-built performance oriented car. With a pulley, exhaust and chip I would put it up against nearly any car on the road. Unfortunately in general Fords current offering of cars is very mundane and I will be hard pressed to buy one next spring when my lease is up on my Nissan. I really like the Infiniti G-30 Coupe and it is in the same price range as the Cobra.

Bob

1BADSC
06-02-2003, 12:41 AM
Yeah, we were looking at the G35, thought about selling the Amg Benz and picking one up.. One thing even the early BMW's had over the SC was reliability. LOL. I just think most people have a hard time spending 50,000 for a Ford. The SC's were cool because no other US car company was putting old style superchargers on top of their engines. That helped them sell, and so did the 5-speed.

Mike8675309
06-02-2003, 01:38 PM
BMW's are well engineered cars, and have always been for the most part. As was already pointed out, BMW was the target of the inital SC offering. Most of the reviewers felt it was nearly there, if not for the poor dash design.

The Lincoln LS is Ford's current attack at the BMW/Mercedes but they just don't have it quite together.

What they need to do is something similar to what Microsoft did to Oracle with SQL Server 7. Rather than build something to directly compete with other car makers, they need to look at what other car makers are doing, and find what they are missing. Then build a new car that takes advantage of everything the other guys are missing, while exceeding what they are doing. Don't simply compete on the same playing field. Change the playing field.

1BADSC
06-02-2003, 06:34 PM
umm, I can't think of one thing that BMW is missing, they have a good performing car with an incredible suspension that takes bumps very well and handles the turns extremely well, has a silky smooth engine, great 5-speed that is so silky smooth you would think your in an auto, RWD and great sound system and incredible resale value. What more could you ask for. And an entry level price between 25-28K and you can get a letherette interior that is so good you have to look at the vin number to tell if it has real leather.

92TBurnSC
06-02-2003, 11:33 PM
Ford has really put their heads up their bums when it comes to fit and finish and overall quality. However, the SC was aimed more specifically at the BMW 6-Series of the time. And to that degree, it succeeded. It was faster, equally appointed, more exciting (mostly because it's a Thunderbird in general) and WAY cheaper. The only thing the SC lacked versus the SC was the bank-vault solid build of BMW...or any German manufacturer in general. But they must be competant in their offerings. I think Ford has the least coverage on their warranties as anyone. You can (in general) tell a cheap-o car by it's ridiculous warranty (Kia, Hyundai, Chrysler).

1BADSC
06-02-2003, 11:58 PM
Cheapo car or not, Warranties sell cars. If Hyundai made a quick and nice looking kar, I would jump all over it. The I could beat it for ten years and not have to pay to fix it.