main studs vs. oil pan

Slysc

I've got a Morana stud girdle and ARP main studs (2.3L headstuds used as mainstuds). The studs hit the oil pan.

oil%20pan%20with%20stud%20holes.jpg

Here's my solution.

revised%20oil%20pan.jpg

I'll take it to my welder on Monday and have him tig it together.

I have the morana girdle and windage tray and they clear my oil pan, mind you Morana had to grind the oil pan slightly to clear the windage tray, but the girdle itself cleared the pan. I like your idea of the new pan, as long as it clears the stock k-frame, its a cool idea.

EDIT: did you have your main caps shaved down flat? I did, we shaved mine flat and then shaved a little extra off to help clear the windage tray, but just shaving the main caps flat should help a lot. Plus it helps the girdle to sit better ont he caps.

Last edited:
here are some pics, they are not the greatest since the flash on the lens brightened everything up but in this first one you can see how much we shaved the caps, the rasied center section of the cap is hard to see cause of the flash but you can see how much we shaved the caps after we took that rasied center section out, agian this was to make extra room for the windage tray, you would only have to remove the rasied section most likely.

SC%20main%20caps%202.JPG

here is another view from the front

SC%20main%20caps.JPG

and a view of the caps on the motor with ARP studs, hope this helps ya bro.

SC%20main%20studs%20cut.JPG

shaved caps

I had to get my main caps shaved flat to fit the stud girdle on.
But I wasn't thinking about clearance to the oil pan at that time.

I guess the ideal situation would have been to have all my caps shaved about 5mm more and then just cut back my main studs.

Oh well. I hope it clears the crossmember. If it doesn't, I'll just have to fab up a tubular one.:D

Back