Tranny slips out of gear when cold

syphon

My transmission slips out of gear when the car is cold.

It's always done this... when I first start it up in the morning, if I drive without warming it up at all... it'll slip out of gear at the first stop sign by my house, it'd take about 1 second to pop back into gear, and thats it.

I figured this was normal. Once the transmission warmed up, it had no problems whatsoever, so I didnt worry about it.

Lately it's been getting worse. As before, once the car has shifted a couple times, it works great. But now... if I try to drive the car without warming it up... occasionally it'll slip out of gear for as long as 5 or 6 seconds. It's really annoying when I slowly coast into an intersection while the car behind me honks at me because my car is stuck in neutral.

Is this something I need to worry about? I normally warm up my car, so it's almost never a problem. The only time I notice it is when I'm in a hurry and don't warm it up as long as I should (say... when I'm on a 30 minute lunch and have to run to McD's).

I'll ask the obvious question.......is the tranny fluid low?Suggest that you have the trans flushed and filled plus a new filter,mine did the same thing but a power flush got me an extra year before I had to rebuild.
z

Ditto!

Mine did the same thing had it serviced,new filter and added a B&m shift kit..BANG!! sure goes into gear now:D

Happy Birding
Rick in FL:cool:

Hmmm..

Mine also did this. I was told that it was just from the seals getting old. I had 125k on my car, so it wasn't doing to good. Not to long after my OD band went out. It also probably takes into account at a cold temperature the fluid doesn't flow well. You could always have a flush and put synthetic in.

Back