Gauge needle removal

charged92

:confused:Has anyone out there changed there gauge faces?
I have a set of Pro Car Parts Autolites silver gauge faces. My problem is when I went to install them I could not get the needles off the gauges to slip the new covers on. They look like they just pull off but when I tried that just the black center broke off:eek: . So I just put the car back together and came here for answers. Anyone with some info or experience with this type of kit your help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• frd-tbd-8992-wtxx-tbrp-rvgx.jpg
    frd-tbd-8992-wtxx-tbrp-rvgx.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 195
hey dean, when I got em it said that "no needle removal necessary" not sure how they work that but that's what it said. good luck and post a pic when you get em on!

you can use a fork to get under them and pull up with steady pressure. make sure you take a picture of them at normal operating range before you take them off. good luck

Hey Alex did you get any info with these things? I will get them on regardless and definately post a pic.

Attachments

• topleftlogo_ford.gif
    topleftlogo_ford.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 182
I tried to get mine off my 90 with no sucess. I was using a panel removal tool. That sucker was just plain stuck on there! I ended up breaking off the part that is opposite the needle (thank heavens I didn't break off the needle). I ended up giving up.
Sorry I know that this doesn't help you any but I wanted you to know that you are not alone.

Just an add on to my last post. I did have sucess with the same problem on a 99 Explorer using the same tool. The needle is just sort of pressed on there. It was however a giant pain in the butt to get the needle back in the right place so that it would zero out.

charged92 said:
Hey Alex did you get any info with these things? I will get them on regardless and definately post a pic.
I got what I gave you, sorry I emailed PCP looking for instructions and they said they don't make em. When I did my friends 88 mustang we had a little tool that came with his APC ones, but its nothing special (looks a little like a fork) but his just popped off.

Renfrew910 said:
I tried to get mine off my 90 with no sucess. I was using a panel removal tool. That sucker was just plain stuck on there! I ended up breaking off the part that is opposite the needle (thank heavens I didn't break off the needle). I ended up giving up.
Sorry I know that this doesn't help you any but I wanted you to know that you are not alone.

I broke the same little piece off mine :mad: . hopefully I can stick it back on somehow.

My gauges are on!!

:D My gauges are on! I want to thank everyone for their ideas and help. Turns out you were right Alex, the needles didn't need to come off. Just needed a little TLC mixed with a little brute force and ignorance to get the job done!LOL No utencils were needed(ha ha) and I was able to fix the piece on my speedo. They are not put back in the car yet I will finish up tomorrow. They look awesome on my kitchen counter, can't wait to get them in the Bird and light them up!! Turns out I had an afterthought the grey gauges match my interior nicely:cool: A note to Sweet 90 SC your gauges look great, is it just the picture or did you leave the clear plastic cover off?

Thanks again,
Dean

Attachments

• 8ht03c.gif
    8ht03c.gif
    49.5 KB · Views: 157
check these out...these have white faces and are electroluminesent so they light up blue indiglo at night. Even work with your regular interior light dimmer.

Attachments

• el%20right.jpg
    el%20right.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 132
Here's a set that are more like the regular factory gagues...pic's a bit blurry... They look awesome so I think i might order a couple of pairs for my two birds

Attachments

• factory%20el%20left.jpg
    factory%20el%20left.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 128
I dont really like the last pics of those guages... kinda ugly the best and only ones I would buy would be the kind Sweet SC 90 has

I don't mind the first set, where are they from? The second set is kind of hard to say. Hey Guess what I got today,an e-mail from Pro Car Parts on how to install my gauges!! Too bad I had them in yesterday. Better late than never. For NMxr7SC, the instructions said to use the supplied tool or a kitchen fork!lol

Last edited:
Hey, i just got done installing that first set discussed in this forum, i dont really like them as much as i thought i would.

1 They DO slip over the needles.
2 DO NOT attempt to pry on the needles (THEY WILL STOP WORKING)
3 You WILL need to trim a few places to get the wires to fit.
4. Attach them to the dimmer setup coming from your light switch.

this page has some handy info
http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/ReverseIndigoGageInstall.htm

this is the page i followed however
http://jeepin.com/features/indiglo/index.asp

hope this helps.

-=dz=- thunderbirding on a budget

did anyone else notice that the procarparts speedo doesn't match the stock speedo?! Would that affect anything.....write back.

The only thing I noticed on the speedo was the trip meter and the odometer holes didn't match up 100%. It isn't too bad. I will get a picture of them and post it on or before the weekend. As far as how they look I think they look pretty cool.

Last edited:
Yea i knoticed that

I decided to sacrifice style for common sense.

I made a mental note of the speeds i normally do
then i realized that they speeds beyond 60 line up.

WTF?

I really wish i could get another style ..i like that one set with the thunderbird logo. Those are very nicely styled. I wish i knew where i could get a set like that for my SC.

-dz-

Back