Transmission Coolers. Any Recommendations?

91BLOWNSC

I need a tranny cooler for my 91 AOD. Any recommendations on which one to go with? Brand? Size? And its ability to cool. Is there any overkill? I want something thats going to work, but I don't wanna spend a ton! Thanks.

they all will list GVW ratings. Do not overkill on the cooler, as you can over cool it and cause damage.

I bought this B&M kit from Jegs for $49.99. Their part number is 130-70264. It will work fine on a stock to moderatly modded transmission.

http://www.jegs.com//cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=15772&prmenbr=361

To attach the cooler you only need to drill two holes into the front of the sheet metal channel that the bottom of the AC condensor sits in and use two of the lag type bolts from the kit to attach it.

Plumb in series with the cooler in your radiator, putting the cooler after the radiator and before returning to the transmission. The kit includes enough hose and fittings to do the job twice. There are also instructions showing which lines on the transmission are in and which are out.

David

Last edited:
There isn't such thing as overkill when dealing with a transmission cooler.

I noticed one time reading a install article from one of the major cooler manufactures where they said the trans cooler in the radiator could be bypassed when using the aftermarket cooler. I think this is a big mistake. When you are sitting in traffic without any airflow through the rad and cooler the trans temp is still going to rise and since the cooling fan cools the engine it’s not going to run if the trans temp climbs too high. So as David said keep the stock one in there as well.

Jeff

You better check again, you can burn out a transmission by overcooling it and putting heavy demands on it while the fluid inside is still cold. There is such a thing as Normal operating temperature, just like you can over cool your engine.

Whatever, a trans cooler will never have the cooling capacity to overcool a transmission. I guess I shouldn’t ever get in my car and just go either? I need to let it heat up for 10 minutes before I drive it then? Not likely.

Jeff

NO it needs to run for about 30 seconds to lube the entire valvetrain. If you put a cooler for a 40,000 GVW truck on a midsize car, that is enough to over cool the tranny.

Well I have a 36,000 GVW cooler on my El Camino right now (it's been on there for about 6 years) and the trans is the only thing that isn't giving me problems.

So I guess I need to get that 40K one to have problems huh?

Jeff

If your worried about it put a thermostat in it and call it a day.

Last edited:
Just because your setup does not overcool your tranny does not mean it cannot be done.

Your from Texas right? In your situation you may be right about not overcooling.

Up my way it's easy to over cool your tranny (it is still dropping below 50 at night).

Aaron

I've got a 9.5" 2700 stall non locking converter, and to keep it cool I have a deep cast aluminum pan and 6AN braided hose running directly to a pair of the 24K GVW B&M coolers (bypassing radiator) bolted back to back with and 800 CFM fan wired to run continuoisly. The coolers are mounted beneath the battery just above the valance.

Even when outside temps are below freezing it doesn't take long for my transmission to warm to about 150 degrees. In the summer it gets up to around 180. Maybe it's just my converter, but I don't think it's possible to over cool the tranny either. The shearing oil in the converter generates enough heat to warm it up quickly in any weather.

David

Back