Oil Cooler Leak???

89XR7

I took off my oil cooler when I did my oil pump and now it leaks, does anyone know where I can get a new seal or if I can use gasket sealent on the gasket?

Thanks
Todd

Todd - you can get them from Ford, but they wanted a crazy price last time I asked (like $10). Mine leaked between the cooler and the base, because the threaded insert that holds the filter on, kept coming loose. After tightening it several times without real success, (I guess the original gasket got too saturated & squashed) I ended-up using the gasket off the last oil filter. Fits ok and no problems since.

Thank you, I will take the seal of the oil filter my next oil change. When yours leaked did you notice any smoke from oil burning? I had a valve cover leak and just replaced the gaskets this weekend and I am still noticing some oil smoke from the passengers side of the engine compartment, not sure if this is from the cooler and oil blowing to the back of the motor.

No, it's as dry as a bone. Can't imagine what's coming off the passenger side though. Typical leaks from these cars are:-

Power steering hoses/pipes under the sump pan.
Power steering pump.
Power steering oil cooler connections.
Valve cover gaskets.
Timing cover gasket.
Crank oil seal in timing cover.
Dip-stick tube where it fits into the block.
Auto trans oil cooler connections into rad.
Rear main bearing seal (leaking from bell housing).
Rear pinion seal.
Clutch release cylinder inside housing.

Back