Harmonic Balancer replaced, need new crank bolt?

90SCinKC

Replacing my Harmonic Balancer, nothing bad happened to it, other than the rubber between the hub and the weight ring seperated, no sheared bolts or anything. Should I replace the crank bolt at this time? The manual says nothing about it, just torque specs. Im guessing i don't need to, since it doesn't seem to be a "torque-to-yield" bolt such as the head bolts...

Thanks....

Most definetley...

Yes, replace it now..

You never know if the vibrations caused by the HB going bad caused any damage to the bolt. I think they are like $12 from Ford, cheap insurance. Do it.

Phil

I don't...

When I bought mine, I was told that I should ask for one from say a 98 Mustang V-6. I asked for that and the dude crossed it to the one for an 89 SC, and they were the same. Apparently, when Ford dicontinued the SC bolt, they replaced it in the parts system with the same number for the Mustang.

Basically what I am trying to say is just ask for the one for your year SC. If they can't find that one, ask for one from a 98 Mustang 3.8L V-6.

Hope this helps.

Also, perform a search on this forum for "harmonic balancer bolt" or something similiar.

Phil

Ditto on that....

WHen I replaced my Crank bolt, I asked for one on the SC and was told it was discontinued but it had a cross reference to the Mustang Bolt.

According to a gentlman who built a Vortech, Splitport V-6 named Gaston, he noted that the 98' Mustang bolt was 1mm larger than the SC bolt.

Back