Pull tranny w/o dropping gas tank?

Fastcat

Is it possible to pull the tranny without dropping the gas tank? A tranny shop told me its possible by unloosening the 4 rear-end bolts. But it doesnt seem to me that it will be enough room to slide the drive shaft over the top.... has anyone did this before?

Yes, you can lower the pumpkin far enough to slide the driveshaft back far enough to slip out of the transmission. Just make sure you use a jack under the pumpkin. I've done it, so I know it will work. The exhaust is the biggest pain in the butt for me, but that's because mines all one section from the headers to the tips.

Thanks dude! MY exhaust is all 1 piece too.... I had the 3rd cat cut off and had a magnaflow dual in/single out welded in its place and the 2 back mufflers but off and 20" long stainless tips coming out the back. Well enough about my exhaust, do I need to take all 4 bolts completely out to slide the driveshaft over the top?

I don't remember, but I know the front 2 bolts will have to come out for sure and you'll have to at least loosen the others. Just stick a jack under there and start loosening untill the drive shaft clears....that reminds me the I think you'll want to remove the driveshaft mounting bolts first.

just pop it man!

Just poop out one of the u-joints. It's easier then messing with the pumkin. Jus t be careful to keep track of the little needle bearings in there.

I dont know how to take out the ujoint... well I did do it in my mustang but it was hard as hell and I needed a press to put the damn thing back together.... or to take it out, I forgot.

Hmmm... I've removed both the pumpkin and the gas tank a couple different times, and I'd have to say that given the choice of taking out one or the other, I'd definitely go for the gas tank. Even with the 1 piece exhaust, I think I'd still rather drop the tank. Removing the pumpkin is a major PITA, definitely more work than dropping the tank. Plus if you drop the tank it's a good excuse to put in a new 255 lph FI fuel pump :D

Rob Noth said:
Hmmm... I've removed both the pumpkin and the gas tank a couple different times, and I'd have to say that given the choice of taking out one or the other, I'd definitely go for the gas tank. Even with the 1 piece exhaust, I think I'd still rather drop the tank. Removing the pumpkin is a major PITA, definitely more work than dropping the tank. Plus if you drop the tank it's a good excuse to put in a new 255 lph FI fuel pump :D

I would disagree. The pumpkin does not have to come totally off so your not taking off the half shafts. I think i removed 4 bolts in total, 2 in the front, 2 in the back and it dropped down nicely. Took me maybe 20-25 minutes only because the bolts were rusted. I even tried the gas tank first. Screw that idea.

u only need to remove the front two big nuts and just let the pumpkin hang down. ive done this a number of times with no problems

GooeyGus2, to take the gas tank down, more stuff has to come off, like saftey straps and hoses, etc...

I can tell you without a doubt to drop the pumpkin . Whether you take all 4 bolts out or just two like some previous guys have said, its still easier than removing the tank IMO

Thanks guys, I installed the tranny yesterday and it was alot easier to drop the pumpkin... just took out the front 2 nuts and loosened the rear nuts!!:D

Kurt K said:
The exhaust is the biggest pain in the butt for me, but that's because mines all one section from the headers to the tips.
I just finished that step in my process of changing the clutch out.

My question: I have a 3.27 diff for my 5 speed. So if I drop the ole pumpkin out, how will I ensure that the driveshaft is balance since the 3.27 pumpkin will NOT have any markings for the driveshaft position? I hope I explained that correctly.

Here is my first step to removing the tranny, the whole exhaust in one piece. Sorry for the size of the picture.

Exhaust2a.jpg

Calvin

Last edited:
I'd just try it. If the driveshaft isn't indexed correctly you'll feel the vibration. Then you can just rotate the shaft and try again.

Thanks Kurt....actually after I posted. I contacted Vernon.....he got me straight on what I need to do...

Thanks again,
Calvin

MINE! 2½" all the way back! Custom muffler shop should be able to hook you up with a similiar setup.......approx. 330USD!

Calvin

Back