electrical problem draining battery

asmoboba

hey guys,

recently I've gone to start my car after not using for a length of time(first 5 days, next time 2 days), and the battery is dead so I've jumped it and now had it tested by a friend, and the headlight fuse is drawing a substantial amount of power from the battery while the car is not in use. Is this just a typical bad fuse? also, what kind of condition is a battery in(this one is 1 year old, pretty heavy duty) after it has been completely drained? Will it still charge fully?

Also, concidentally my rear left tailight does not work as a turn signal, but flashes on and off when my alarm is activeated/deactivated...possibly related?

Any help is as always very appreciated!

I disconnect mine

My battery will drain too but usually the car has to sit for 10 days or more. In those situations, I just disconnect the negative terminal. Since I started doing that, no problems.

On the tail light...mine does NOT have the alarm but when I lock the keyless entry I get a horn beep and the PARKING lights flash. If that's the way the alarm activates/deactivates, that explains why it will "light up". Double check that the parking lights work and the brakes do not. Then take a look at the wiring. If I'm not mistaken (help me out here guys), the tail lights use LEDs and you may have to replace the entire thing.

Hope you discover an easy, inexpensive fix.

thanks

thanks for the response...is it normal for batteries to drain around 10 days like yours does??

My tailights do not light up....only the corners do when braking or for the alarm...so I guess my LED's are burned out, or did they not have those on the 89?

Something is wrong with your headlight/taillight system. I would troubleshoot it with a manual. If your system checks out good, I would test across your battery while the engine is running to make sure you have 13.8 - 14.4 volts at the battery. If you have any less, your alternator is toast.

thanks for the help....I'll look into the headlight/tailight stuff. the alternator should be good as it was replaced last year and has been tested.

asmoboba said:
thanks for the help....I'll look into the headlight/tailight stuff. the alternator should be good as it was replaced last year and has been tested.
You should probably double check it anyway with a voltmeter.. As far as your battery goes, go buy a cheap bulb type battery tester and check it out ot be sure your batt is good. Then, hook up an ampmeter and start pulling fuses 3 at a time from under the dash, until you find the culprit and then go from there. Also, when my alternator was going out, it drained the battery 100% dead before it ever lit the light on the dash. That light is also not 100% reliable. The alternator can fail without ever lighting it up.

Check left vs. right

Ok, I think I understand. The left rear "corner" turn signal is not functioning properly. Does it come on when you turn on the headlights? If so, does the right one come on with the headlights and function properly? If so, get into the trunk and remove the lamps from the LH and RH turn/stop lamps. I'm guessing the LH bulb may not be installed correctly or is the wrong type. If the LH and RH bulbs look the same and appear not to be burnt out, swap the LH and RH bulbs as you reinstall. If the problem follows the bulb, get another bulb. If the problem stays on the left, troubleshoot further as Mr. Mattix suggested.

On the alternator, mine went out with NO warning. The alternator light is more aptly named the "now you're screwed" light. According to the specs on the SCCoA site for the 89 (under literature) your alternator has an integrated voltage regulator/rectifier. There are some IC chips on these that can fail after time. So be sure you are getting correct voltage with the car running as Tbirdfan suggested.

These are the reasons I added a volmmeter gauge to mine.

Good luck.

Re: thanks

asmoboba said:
thanks for the response...is it normal for batteries to drain around 10 days like yours does??

My tailights do not light up....only the corners do when braking or for the alarm...so I guess my LED's are burned out, or did they not have those on the 89?

We don't have the leds' on the 89. Only the corner tail lights light up, not the center reflectors.
I think we started using leds in '93 or so, don't quote me on the year.

Re: thanks

asmoboba said:
No. Either the battery is weak, has an internal short, or something is draining it. You should charge it up fuly with a slow charger for at least 24 hours, check the battery acid with one of the bulb testers, then take it to any car parts place and have it load tested. If it charges up and holds a charge, then the problem is that something in the car is on and pulling way more power than it should, thus draining the battery. A draw of 10mA is OK. Nothing should be drawing more than a few milli-Amps with the key off.
If you find this to be the case, thats when you start pullling fuses till it stops.

Back