Transmission Woes. Please help.

91BLOWNSC

Alright, well I had posted before about my transmission just having a fresh rebuild. I had everything except for reverse. So we decided to take off the valve body and filter and what not to see if we could find the problem. Well I aquired a useful tool off the dealer, its a thin piece of aluminum with all the holes like the valve body so that we could shoot air up into the transmission and see if the clutch packs were fine ( you can hear them if there good and theres no air leaking by). Which it turned out that they were. We basically checked reverse and that seemed to be the best of them all. So we put the valve body and gasket back on with long dowl rods so that it would go on perfectly straight. And everything is going fine. We put the filter on, along witht he cork gasket to seal it right and we get everything done. Put the pan back on, and we fill her back up the the crosshatch area with fluid. I go to put it into D or 1st or whatever I wanna try, and it doesn't work. I wait a second ot see if fluid just needs to be sucked up first, but obviously that wasn't the case. I revved the engine up while in D and it jumped, and i had to hit the brakes (cause im in the garage). Well the car will not even remotely go into gear unless i rev up the engine. I cannot even tell if reverse works, but I think it might. Not the damn thing doesn't go anywhere. The gasket for the trans filter I reused (the cork one). Could that be my problem? Do you think its sucking in air from somewhere. I know it was on there tight. I just dont' get any. All help would be appreciated.

Maybe your Reverse band is not catching. The Reverse servo piston may not be catching the tab on the reverse band. To check, you will have to drop the valve body again and remove the Reverse servo pistion.

Check for nicks or chipped around the piston edges, this would cause leaks. If damages, pick up a new from a tranny parts store.

Also, did you replace the reverse band? If not, there maybe not enough friction material to catch the reverse drum.

Last edited:
yup.

Already pulled out the servo and double checked it. Its came out completely fine. Not nicks or anything in it. The reverse clutchband was replaced and it is catching because we pressure checked it. I just don't know what else it could be.

hmmm..........

1BADSC said:
is the TC seated all the way

Yeah. I was asked to check that before. And the TC is already seated correctly. Matter a fact I just had to get a new grommet for it recently and it was working great before the rebuild. I am guessing my line pressure just isn't high enough and I cannot figure out why. Any more ideas?

Anymore? I came up with the fluid being a little low in the trans. So now all the gears work 1- OD but Still no reverse. What the hell is wrong?

Last edited:
Back