Question about SCTuner/EEC Tuner???

shogun92

Hey guys...this is my first venture in this forum, and I appreciate any help you have to offer.

Im looking to purchase the SCTuner/EEC Tuner, but here is the kicker...i dont own a T-bird...I own an SHO. I have a 92 Supercharged SHO. Unfortunately, it needs some serious tuning. Currently I have narrowed my options down to the SCTuner. But I have a couple of problems:

1) I have no experience with tuning cars (like this)
2) Very few SHO owners have EEC Tuners and can offer me assistance
3) The only dyno shop in town says they will dyno the car, but I would have to make all of the adjustments

I was wondering if you guys could offer some assistance. Exactly how hard is it to tune teh car? Am I capable of doin it myself? Is there anybody in Cincinnati, OH that would be willing to help?

I understand this forum is dedicated to Super Coupes, but over the years I have had nothing but luck with SC owners and their willingness to help. I thank you ahead of time for any/all of your help!

If you don't think you can handle tuning your own car try Brian Herron (Brian MarkVIII) he can burn a chip for it and has tuned many SC's.

Fred (Fred4.3) can also tune your car for you pretty cheap although the startup cost is quite high. The EEC tuner runs about $350 plus you will need a laptop computer to be able to use it.

Jeff

You can find info on the EEC tuner at mn12.com

Thanks for the info...I was actually looking at the EEC Tuner that can be found at www.sctuner.net. mainly because it has SHO specific software.

I have tried doin teh chip proces with teh SHOShop, but it has become too tedious due to a lack of hands on ability (they are in California). So I figured an EEC Tuner would be my best bet.

Where are Brian and Fred located? And will the tuner at mn12.com work with my SHO (the site was down)?

Thanks again!

I believe all the EEC Tuners are the same. What you're paying the extra $$$ for from the SCTuner site is the software and calibration files specific to the SHO. If you got a Tuner from MN12, it would have the T-bird and SC cals, but not the SHO. Which basically means you're SOL. You might be able to find someone that has one and could send it to you, or just buy the right one in the first place.

As for tuning it, do you have a laptop? If you have a laptop, can get to a dyno and can read the manual, you should be able to make noticable improvements. Especially in the fuel and spark tables. I'm assuming you've upped injector and MAF sizes too. Those are easy to change.

If you're running a totally one of setup (which I think you are since blown SHO's aren't on every street corner) the Tuner will be the best bet. I don't think you'll ever get an off the shelf chip or file to work. You'll either need to do it yourself or have someone do it for you hands on. Brian does go 'on tour' occasionally and probably would be able to help you out.

Good luck,
Steve

Thanks for all of your help?

Processor code? If we are referring to the same thing I believe the code is X2J. If that is not what you are looking for, please give me more info and I am more than willing to find whatever you need.

By the way Brian...if/when you go "on tour" if you wouldnt mind stopping in Cincy I would greatly appreciate it:)

The best thing to do for guys like Apten is to get a club in your town to sponser a dyno tune. Then work with Brian to find out what his minimal numbers are. Get a dyno for a weekend, 1.5 hours per car, 20 or so cars, and that will give Apten or any tuner a reason to show up.

You can check with them, but my guess is he can tune EEC-IV and EEC-V vehicles alike, so if you get the word out, lots of people would be interested. Ford Trucks, Mustangs, Tbirds, Mark VIII's.

Anyway, that's the easy way to get a tuner into town.

Thanks...I have a buddy in town with an SC adn have spoken a few times with Bill E. so perhaps i will get in touch with them and see if we can get things together with the dyno in town.

I've got a file for X2J that I can use to tune or burn a chip, but the only thing I can get to are the fuel tables, spark tables, and transfer function.

Thank you I appreciate it, but I think I am goin to get the EEC Tuner so I can void teh chip and make the mofications using a laptop.

That's fine, but keep in mind, it's not about being able to do it, it's all about knowing how to do it right.

Apten has proven they can do it right. So have others. And I'm sure there are some with EEC tuners that would point out how difficult it was to do it themselves.

I totally agree...I think you might have misunderstood me...I intend on buying the Tuner...but I would still appreciate assistance from anyone who is willing to help me tune the car. I have done the whole chip deal...and it was an absolutely horrible experince. Thus, I have decided to go this route in teh hopes of finding someone willing to tune the car on the dyno. But thank you...and I am still looking for someone who is willing to tune the car using the EEC Tuner.

Key would be to find someone in the Tarus community as they that engine better.

But the best person with the EEC tuner on the SC's has proven to be Dr. Fred. He's built motors, speced out motors for other people to build, and provided some killer tuner files for people. He might be able to help you.

http://www.zianet.com/sccosw/drfred/

I can make you a tuner file too, not just a chip. You'll need to go to a dyno and get some a/f pulls so we can revise it.

Brian

tony63...thanks for the info...but i frequent the shoforum quite a bit...unfortunately few people have the tuner, and even less people post about it. hence i came to you guys and i appreciate all of the help!

mike i will def. look into dr. fred...

brian...i would appreciate AS MUCH HELP as you can give me!!! i'll send you a pm...

Back