Weird engine sounds and excellerates when in park

dbledown00

Please, someone help me!! There is a sound coming from my engine that sounds like a backed up pipe in a house. My car excellerates on it's own when in park or when I'm stopped at a red light or stop sign. Another thing that happens is that when I reach the speed limit and let off the gas , the speed stays at that speed as if the cruise control is on but it's not. My '91 S.C. only has 65,000 miles on it. Can anyone give me input or help me understand what's wrong? I'd appreciat anyone's help. Thanks, Anthony p.s. my email is ucf_bound@yahoo.com :confused:

hey anthony, im not really sure on your problem, but i noticed your email says ucf. is that reffering to university of central florida?? just wondering cause im about to go there in the fall. im sure someone will help you with this problem. brian

It sounds like your IAC valve (idle air control) to me. It is the large black plastic part on the drivers side of the throttle body.

When mine went out it would idle around 2200 RPM. Buy your replacement from FORD for about $100, some say the aftermarket replacements do not work properly on the SC.

UCF

Hi Brian, yes it refers to University of Central Florida. I was going to go there in the fall but I think I might end up in Daytona Beach, not that bad of a place to live with the beach and all. Are you moving to Florida or do you already live there? Tony

IAC

Hi 89psychobird, is there any way to test to see if it is the IAC? Should I just listen to see if that is where the noise is coming from? Also, do you know if I can use a used one or should I go with the new one from the Ford dealership? Thanks for your help, Tony

I don't know of anyway to test it, you may want to do a search. Does the noise that you are hearing sound like a loud howling? That is how I described it when mine went bad. I'm not sure that I would want to buy a used one, as the IAC valve seems to have a high failure rate.

it sounds like an IAC problem to me as well. Go to a Carquest store and tell them you need one for a SC. It will work fine. I replaced my 2 years ago with the carquest piece and havent had any problems.

Thanks guys!

Thanks for your help 89psychobird and raceguy13sc, I have an IAC on the way and should have it in a couple of days. I can't wait to put this IAC on so my car will sound and run normal. Now if I can just get my stock CD player to work. LOL!! Thanks again, you saved me a lot of money. Anthony

Back