that crazy bird

91thundercoupe

ok last week im having trouble with the car. stall, ten mins later its fine. put in a new fuel pump, runs like a top. now it's got a new trick.im out for a drive today and she is acting weird. i come to a stop and while it is idleing it is shuttering.put it in park or neutral and the shuttering is so slight that you wouldent feel it if u wernt looking for it. put it back in drive amd i give it a little gas it goes away but i know that's to much gas cuz if i go park drive it hits to hard. so i head home and pop the hood and what do i find. first thing i see as soon as i pop the hood is the cap on the coolent overflow is gone, the one where the censor goes if you have it. that seems odd to me so i go and glance in and it's looking real dirty, and oily. i do a finger test and it feels oily. just to be sure a get a little out, mix it with water and it dont mix, just floats on top. check the oil and it is a little low for being changed less than a week ago hmmmm. now most see where this is leading to. just a couple things are throwing me off. the shuttering just started so if the hg just blew then where did it find dirty oil its prolly got less than 500km on that oil. there seem to be no other signs of hg failure. temp stays normal, power seems normal, exhaust seems normal. ive only been driving the car a month and the engine is supposed to have only 10000km on it. my gut is telling me that the hg has been blown scence i got it, i never new because i coudent see clearly into the overflow and it has no other symptoms and the shutter is from somthing all together different. but i would like to hear what you guys think. im gonna run the codes tomorrow.

I bought my 91 SC a year and a half ago and when I first bought it, it did something similar, it would shutter when i first put it into gear but once i got going it went away. I blew a headgasket not too long after i got it, so i sent it in to be fixed. They fixed that, but the piston/rings were shot. That could be where you're oil is getting dirty. I don't remember if the car still shook when i put it in gear when i drove it for a few days with the messed up pistons. If that is you're problem your best bet is just to get a new shortblock and go to town. If you get the engine rebuilt there is no guarantee, i'm pretty sure there's a guarantee if you have a new shortblock put in. I hope that helps and best of luck.

Another common way for the oil and coolant to get mixed is via the stock oil cooler (junk). However, that wouldn't explain your shuttering problem.

-Rod

Possible shutter problem

My 94 5spd did the same thing. At a red light in neutral she would shutter, stumble and sometimes die. Turned out to be a vaccuum line that connects back to the gas tank. The line is located on the passenger side of the engine near the fire wall. When the leak got really bad, I could hear a hissing when I turned off the engine.

Not sure if this is it but something to investigate.

Good luck.

if you had battery unhooked to put in fuel pump it may take 2 or 3 days for computer to learn everything again how to idle it took mine 3 days before till it idled right after changing battery

also these cars have very long plug wires if they sit around a few days and get damp with old or weak wires they will miss bad they need very good wires

Last edited:
ok. im thinking that the oil in the overflow is from some time wheneve b4 i had it. i think the headgasket is good because it seems fine becides the shuttering. i recently found out i have a broken mmotor mount on the drivers side. would that cause shuttering like this? any help is very much helpful.
thanks guys

Back