Sensor Statres?

mikesc

Does anyone know the static states of the following sensors.

1. Temp sensor to EEC. Open or closed?
2. Approximate resistance of TPS ckt 351- ckt 359.
3. Voltage at ckt 355 TPS wiper to gnd (koeo) +5.0v or +12V?
3. Is the water temp switch part of the water temp sensor or engine coolant temp sensor that goes to the EEC?
4. I'm sure I'll come up with a few more Q's but I can't think of any at this time.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

God I hate electrical problems!!!!!!

The ECT sensor is neither open or closed as it is a thermistor with a negative temperature coefficent of resistance which means as temp. goes up resistance goes down.

The TPS Sensor is a rheostat but the troubleshooting specs are related in voltage not resistance. The Vref is 5 volts if memory serves for the TPS. I'll check tonight when I have my reference material available.

There are two ECT's...the one by the thermostat goes to the water temp guage ONLY and is a different electrical circuit from the one off the intake manifold for the EEC.

Last edited:
Sensors

Thanks for the info. The reason I was asking about Vref is my car is reading +12v to gnd. It dosen't matter what wire I read either 351 or 359. I assume this is coming from the EEC and should be 5.0V (TTL) is this correct? I am pretty sure my EEC has failed and I am trying to figure out why, I don't want to fry another when I plug it in. Any other info would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks (again)

Mike

You need to read between Vref and Sig Rtn at the connector to the TPS. That should give you between 4.0 to 6.0 VDC. Not sure what year car you have so I can't tell you the color of the wires. I will say for a 92 it should be Grey with Red stripes for the Vref and Brown with white stripes for the Sig Rtn.

Back