ride control question

rolltide

Every time I turn the key to start my car, I get a click-click noise from the rear of the car. It sounds like it is coming from the trunk/ride control box. I know my struts are worn out and need replaced. Is that the reason for the noise. Also by chance, does anyone know if the gear shift handle on a 5-speed is suppose to have a constant vibration. My 5 speed shifter has one that will numb the hand in a matter of minutes. I have had several Honda 5 speeds that the handle never did this. Maybe it is because of the larger gearbox. Thanks.

-Tony

You may be hearing the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key to start the car, just make sure you don't drive around on "E" because thats the fastest way to kill a fuel pump.
The shifter rattling is a major problem that you need to deal with ASAP. Start with making sure the tires are balanced, then check the drive shaft bolts, wheel bearings, CV joints, if it is still there, then check the centerline of the drivetrain.
When I was young and dumb, I had that problem with my 428 7Litre and I just kept driving it with the shifter vibing & rattling until the Borg Warner T10 Trany blew up on a freeway bridge one night. The cop made the tow truck guy pick it up from the front and since both rear wheels were locked, the 9 bolt posi held leaving about 1/2 mile skid mark. When he got off the freeway and when around a couple of corners, I heard another huge pop and that was my rearend breaking. Fix it now or it will cost you big.

Back