after rebuild, switching to synthetic oil

i would run it some and change it again about 2 or 3 k then i would prob wait till next change around 6 k then try the synthetic

mileage....

I'll probaly only put 1500 miles on it this year if that. Generally just driven to the dragstrip and some sunday drives. I've been using 10w30 Havoline for break in for these first 500 miles. If too soon to go to synthetic, should I switch to a different weight? It will be driven hard, it's making over 345hp.

Hmm..

I put fully synthetic mobil 1 in right after the rebuild. I was told to do this by a very good source. And Im sticking to it :D

Synthetic

From what I hear, (I'm no expert), but running synthetic oil right after a rebuild is not good because the rings have not been fully seated (until at least 500mi) and the oil can sometimes blow-by the unseated rings.

Mobil 1

Maybe one should ask Ford why they can use it in the Cobra R right off the assembly line. Same goes for all Corvettes, Porsches and Vipers.

Re: Synthetic

BlckOnBlckBrd said:
From what I hear, (I'm no expert), but running synthetic oil right after a rebuild is not good because the rings have not been fully seated (until at least 500mi) and the oil can sometimes blow-by the unseated rings.

Yeah but, it does that with regular oil regaurdless. And again, like Jim said, the Cobra R and other expensive motors came straight off the line with Mobil 1. Some of those cars were taken to the extreme right away to. Im not the least bit worried.

It's the rings and seals

I'm sure his rings are fine (new style and quite hipo), but you need aggressive crosshatch to seat with synthetic. Modern hipo motors are back to that. But none of the seal kits are material that will seal right against synthetic unless they are well seated. My call, IMHO, is to go at least 3 oil changes, ~10,000 miles, before synthetic.

Someone told me that you can go from regular oil to synthetic oil, but that once you do, you cannot go back to regular oil because of what the synthetic oil does to your seals. You will experience major leaks going back to regular oil. Has anyone else heard this, or is it untrue?

Back