Cooling Fan Will not come on

giinspector

I have a 90 SC. My engine over heats after about 20 minutes of driving. I checked the engine and it was obvious that the cooling fan is not engaging. My solution to this problem would be to replace the fan motor and change to the 180 thermostat. The radiator is stock but it also includes a trans-radiator. Could there be something else causing the fan to not engage?

Did u check the Distribution Box fuse for the cooling fan?? Mine did the same thing. I changed the fuse in the distribution box and it came right on. If thats not it see if the sensor thingy came out mine did that too lol.

Jay

You can dump 12 volts directly to the fan, pull the connector off. I believe there are 3 wires.

One wire is ground and is Black
One wire is for the high speed windings and is Brown with orange stripe. At least on my 89.
One wire is for the low speed windings and is Brown with a Yellow stripe. At least on my 89.

12 volts to the Low speed lead should start it spinning on low speed.
12 volts to the high speed lead should start it spinning on high speed.

If that works, then the motor is fine. Then it's either a problem with the integrated relay module, or a fuse. You can bypass the integrated relay module by cutting the #14 wire to run low speed fan, and grounding the #17 wire to run the high speed fan.

Back