front versus rear wheel drive wheels

Ronald Wendt

Maybe a stupid question. I see where there are wheels specifically for front wheel drive. I assume this is to fit around the spindles etc. But could you use a set of wheels from a front wheel car on a rear wheel one if the bolt pattern was the same?

One of my more stupid aquisitions was some 17 x 6.5 wheels from a Chrysler Sebring that I was just sure would fit my wifes Sebring convertible. Of course the bolt pattern is defferent between the coupe and the rag top, 4 1/2" versus 100mm. And here I thought only Ford did stupid things like this. My buddy has a Grand Marquis we were thinking of putting these wheels on for giggles but we are not sure if it is worth the effort. Actually I don't know for sure if the GM has the 4 1/2" bolt pattern either.

Ron

our wheels are a 4.25 inch bolt pattern

However they are a front wheel - drive offset due to the Independent Rear suspension

Yeah I knew our bolt pattern wa 4 1/4", 100mm. I just wondered what a GM had for a bolt paatern and if the wheels I have from a front wheeler might fit. I guess its just going to have to be jack it up and see

I asked the same question at Les Schwab and was told FWD wheels won't work. Next time I got someone that was a little more educated. FWD will work provided you get the right offset and like the other guy said, 108mm.

Back