Vibration/Clutch?

Billabong089

I have no idea whats causing this and it only happens in first when first getting off the clutch. If I try to get off the clutch normally, the car will vibrate, ( my radar detector in my windshield, you can see going up and down), If I rev up a little higher than it won't happen, oh and its only first gear only.

I don't know if this has anything to do with my rear end since sometimes I can hear like a clunk or something, and this all happened after the isolator assmbly holding up the differential broke... any idea?

Last edited:
Does it vibrate when you first drive, or only after it warms up a little?

Mine does it after it gets warm only. Others have had the same problem, most think it has to do with LUK clutches and/or the flywheel needs to be resurfaced. It seems the only fix is a new non-LUK clutch

nah it does it as soon as I start driving, Im thinking its the ujoints since you can feel and hear a clunk toward the rear end and now the vibration. I'm going to get it checked out on friday.

I have been having the same exact problem with my 91SC. I've lived with it for over a year. I thought for sure it was my clutch so I had it replaced (LUK) about a month ago. When I picked it up, it was smooth as can be.. beautiful! Then a week went by, I started feeling the exact same vibration that you've described and I have lived with. It gradually started vibrating the way it did before the clutch was replaced...:mad:

Not motor mount, had them replaced and the engine is smooth during idle and when revved. Only happens in 1st gear from a dead stop, if the car is rolling a little or if revved high enough gradually releasing the clutch, its not too bad. But if you need to get up and go.. then its' vibration city, to the point my radar detector and steering wheel start bobbing up and down quickly.

I have also noticed after not driving it for a couple of days, it smooths out of first and feels like new. After it gets warmed up, it starts again. Two days of sitting seems to be the time period, anything less the vibration out of 1st gear is noticeable. I don't hear any "clunking" in my scenario but I am thinking now it could be the rubber bushing for the transmission cross-member, bucking forward and backward during clutch release. I noticed they were pretty beat-up when I replaced the transmission mount with a solid rubber type. Ford wants $80 for the entire cross-member and new bushings included, they don't sell separately, or so they say. Just some thoughts, up until now I have been search this forum looking for someone with the same problem, glad I am not the only one. Anyone know if someone sells polyurethane cross-member bushings???

What most of you are describing is what I have come to know and love(not) as LuK clutch syndrome. I had all those problems the entire pathetic short life of the LuK I had. Worked beautiful for the first 5000kms(3000miles) after that for the rest of it's miserable life it would shudder out of 1st gear after it got warmed or heated up worked fine cold. When I pulled it after only
about 70,000kms(42,000miles) it had worn right down almost to the rivets on both sides. No flywheel damage or excessive wear thank gawd but nothing left of the clutch plate.

I would never use one of those again, this time she has a Centre Force II Dual Friction and it's a great clutch, lots of grab, locks up real nice, no slippage at all and i have over 7000kms on it so far.

my stock clutch shudders some afer 207k on it mostly after it sits a few days or in the morning when its cool and damp then it warms up its not as bad

Vibration

Have your engine mounts tested. My factory LuK clutch lasted longer than the car, I pulled it out last week and it was still in good shape although the throw out bearing and slave cylinder don't look good but I haven't cleaned everything yet. Good luck

Did you make sure that you got the flywheel turned before you installed the new clutch. If you did not , then that would certainly explain the chatter. Could also be caused by oil leaking onto the flywheel or if the flywheel is burnt. And since most of the factory clutches are made by LUK I don't think it has anything to do with it. They are some of the longest lasting clutches out there.

Check the flyweel, check the tranny mounts, check the alignment.

Im pretty sure motor mounts are new, the vibration got a lot better after I replaced my tires... ;) Im still going to get it looked out since I think something is still not right about the drivetrain.

I can actually burn out now well not like I really want to becuase I know something will break knowing my luck but these new tires I got are so hard it really helps, ( 52 psi ) ;)

Im gonna get the car on a lift and have someone take a look.

what tires did you buy that can handle 52psi. You better watch, one big pothole and kaboom. I have never seen a street tire for a car that would handle more than 35-40???

Resolution?

Hi Billabong,

Were you ever able to resolve this vibration out of 1st gear? I think I still have the problem. I've had the transmission rebuilt and another LUK clutch installed since my last post (3yrs ago) and had the rear-end rebuilt (all needed due broken parts and hoped to resolve this problem) The rear-end rebuild was done today, and actually feels better, firm and stable. BUT, I did feel/sense a little of the vibration. I'll know more tomorrow when I go to work and run it in stop and go traffic since it seems to happen all the time when car is hot and in traffic.
:confused:

lmao, wow its been a while with the ol' Thunderbird SC and thousands of dollars later.... haha

ummmm the car makes the clunk and my bro thinks its the rear end goin bad who knows... as for the vibration I dont think its bad anymore, I'm going to drive it right now and let you know haha cuz i cant remember.

I know its been a while...

:) Same here, clutch, tranny over the last 3 years and the vibration is still with me, so I know what you mean. I am almost positive its not the rear-end although mine rides a little better and more solid at high speeds. But, from a dead stop in 1st gear it still shudders. I think the problem is the driver! :D

Oh well, the way I've been getting around it is by higher RPM's and feathering the clutch to hit the "sweet" spot. But, I rarely focus on it so I get the shuddering. Let me know what you find...
Thanks.

I've had a vibration, same as described, unitl about 3 days ago.
I had the EGR valve changed and it is pretty musch gone, at least 95%, anyway.

Back