spark plug gap needed

sunny627

i've heard a lot of different ideas, but what's the best gap for stock autolite plugs. going to change the wires and plugs tomorrow and try to get the bird back on the road.

thanks,
Ryan

I believe stock is 52. I have mine there and it's too wide for my modz. So I plan on pulling them and changing them to 40 or 42. So with slight modz it will not hurt to make them 46 or 48.

Good Luck,
Anthony

Anything that increases power beyond stock. Removed silencer, smaller SC pulley, removed resonator.

At WOT throttle, the larger stock gap can be more prone to misfire.

I ran APP764 plugs with just larger than a .45 gap. (gauge didn't read .50) That's the stock heat range, but shorter tip plug. (the stock longer tip plug was unavailable at the time.)

I'm using a non extended tip Iridium plug with the gap at .054, works fine. But then the Iridium plugs can take a bigger gap without the misfiring problem. With dual plats I was running more like .050.

Mike - wow .45 gap, that's almost half an inch! :p

i ask b/c

I ask b/c after putting on my smaller sc pulley, cold air intake, 76mm maf and various other mods, and installed new plugs it now bucks and kicks and sputters-when it does this the boost gauge goes down, and then it runs ok, until it does it again in about 3 seconds-lol. i cant check anything now, its getting painted

installed new plugs it now bucks and kicks and sputters-when it does this the boost gauge goes down, and then it runs ok

99% sure it's a plug wire. Old wires can be damaged just by changing the plugs. If wires are new check to make sure they are all on the plugs and coil pack correctly.

David

PS: I gap my plugs .045".

Last edited:
Woops, I wasn't supposed to let it slip. I'm testing these things Wynn is working on these new anodized forged titanium plugs and galium....woops, said too much already. :D

I concur... Check those plug wires.

Back