Ahh crap part 2!!! (read if you've had alt problems)

S

sabbySC

Ahh crap part 2!!! (read if you've had alt problems)

So I go to get the car today, I note my nice new dent in the side. Drop all my money off in exchange for the work done. I drive not 1 km down the road and the thing is slipping like mad. Well a quick check and I need more trans fluid (I thought I would as I never fully engaged each gear when I refilled the trans). Next I drive another k the heat starts going way up, now I'm scared I stop at a gas station the car is overheateing but it turns out to be a loose fan conection no biggie. Now I pull out onto the road again, this time I have come up to about 60km/h and the car isn't changing gears, well this was an easy fix a quick stop along the road and readjust the TV cable, tada all is well. Now I'm finally thinking I can get this car home and bamm the tack drops dead the radio starts blinking on and off and the car can't get into boost at all. Than it stalls. So I push it into a nearby parking lot, check the battery with my multimeter 11 volt, well I knew than what was wrong the alternator is toast.

To make a long story short I need another $324 for an alternator which won't come in until tomorow and now I need to make another trip to TO to fix it after work tomorow. Such is life I guess.

{edit} read this and reply if you've had similar tach problems when your alternator went bad

Re: Ahh crap part 2!!!

man you dont have good luck bro.

yeah but alot of it is to be expected, the trans and coolant stuff were somewhat expected, my jumping tach and battery light should have been dead giveaways that the alt was going while I was playing around in the garage (though the battery light didn't come on until the day I took the car off the trailer)

Has anyone else experienced thier tach acting funny when the alternator went? All my sensors are brand new so I don't suspect DIS or anything like that, especially since it revs freely.

Sebastien,

I have a spare alternator from that '89 parts car. I'm not certain it's in working order, but it looks like we just need to change the pulley. If you're interested, let me know.

...Man, you've had some bad luck lately?!

Are you still in good shape for coming to my place again this Sunday?

Cheers,

Sean

Sabby,

I am very sorry to hear about this as well. How many was that, 5 problems in 5 minutes, or 5 KM? That is truley aweful. I hope things start to run a lot better in the near future. How is that monster cam? Let me know how your plans will work out for the weekend.

Did the wires in the alternator fry, or did you through a bearing? That price for an alternator sounds very inflated!!!

Bill McNeil.

That price rings a bell as being CTC's price for a rebuilt. Damn Sabastien I have a spare alternator and I know of a shop nearby that said they would rebuild it for about 80 bucks but that doesn't help you what with yours being dead here in town.
This one is pooched and needs a rebuild for sure it wouldn't even limp you home.

Don't worry guys there's a reason I'm gong with a CTC alternator I just cant tell you what it is. Maybe in person I'll tell you. As for a spare alternator I had oen at home but it is no good either. The one on the car is just plain dead, I think the brushed are gone as it is only making 10.x V .

The car runs well so at least I'm happy with that, still in my short drive it felt like it lacked power (but than again without electrical power I wouldn't have enough fuel/spark so that would kill my power).

Sabby, I think the tach problem is definately associated with the alt. On my 94 V6 Mustang our alt's have an extra wire on the connector, actually an extra single wire connector right beside the main connector, this is for the tach I ahve been told, and now that you mention your problem I see why it's there.

My stang alt recently went dead itself so I swapped in the SC alt, but I had to leave this single wire connector hanging loose since the SC alt does not have it, car still runs fine. Looks like they fixed the problem with the tachs with the newer alts, it must be there so the tach is not affected if the alt goes, thats my guess. Not sure how that would work though! :)

Back