do 92-93 sc,s have more HP more than 89-90

mannysc

I was comparing 89-90 sc's with 92-93's
the 92-93's have better exh route, than 89-90,
also 92-93's have bigger maf,

just wondering if some of the hp gain 94-95;s had is in part due to these two things +the newer blower.
seems like the exh would have added hp to the 92-93;s not to mention the maf mass what ever you prefer to call it. + 92-93's dont have EGR.

Id apreciate any response good bad ugly just seems like the 94-95s blower may not be what gave it the extra 25 hp maybe only 15 hp.what you think??or do injectors make up a bigg part of it.

Last edited:
First off the larger MAF was added to the 91+ SC's and it really didn't add that much difference on intake for the metal bar down the center makes it roughly the same size...If you delete the metal bar then its more on the lines of a 70mm.

As for the exhaust it's still as restrictive due to the cats making 90 degree angles from the manifolds.

Both are rated for the same HP numbers but you do bring up some good thoughts.

One thing though, the 93s were some of the lightest SC's built so they may seem faster than the earlier SC's

-Tim

my 92

my 92 had no egr nor did the 93. and if you remove the post you must drill out the sampler tube 15/32

i have wondered this myself, as my very stripped 93 runs 14.6s with only a few mods, even on a dyno it ran 203/300 rw hp/tq and that seems high for only a 5 percent pulley, a K&N cone/removed air silencer, and flowmaster cat back.

Well the specs are....

89 manual SC's had a better cam and better lift than all others. The biggest thing to improve the SC's in 91-up are the processor had better tuning on it therefore getting a bit more out of it, and the MAF was recalibrated to sense the better air flow in mid 91-up. Otherwise, 94-95 cars have floating pins on pistons, better head design, windage tray, better blower with closer tolerances (reason why they teflon coated the rotors is to decrease tolerances), bigger area for blower intake increasing rotor exposure therefore reducing engine HP needed to get air inot blower, and slight cam changes. The 95- 5-speed had the WORST cam out of them all. Lowest lift and duration of all of them.

Add these up and you get the HP increase that comes in 94 on the SC's. If you want HP and torque, do the exhaust and cold air intake. These together with actual true high flow cats, resonator, and mufflers will lead you to approximately a car with 210-215 rear wheel HP and 320 Torque. Slightly higher numbers are there if you change the Mass Air meter and this requires tuning due to different MAF curves in Computer values and volumetric efficency.

So in closing, do exhaust, intake, and beat the snot out of it. !!

My 91 pushed 210 rwhp and 321 rwt with only exhaust!!!

Go figure.

Don

Back