White smoke from the exhaust

pearl95sc

Alright guys, need some help here. Started driving the cougar again, it's been sittin for a bit. I've been having trouble with smoke from uner the hood and found that oil was spurting out from the top of the dipstick tube. I originally thought it was a bad grommit for the valve cover breather line that runs into the inlet tube. So I clamped the hose and rtv'd the connectors going in. Anyways, car was doing good for a day, and I noticed it seemed a tiny bit jittery at idle, almost like a miss. Also noticed that whenever I got on it, I seen a little smoke from under the hood, and some behind me as well. Just assumed the smoke behind me was from under the hood. Last night, on my way to seven eleven, blew the doors off a riced neon, and the car felt like it was missin really bad when I parked it. I had pressure washed the engine earlier that day and figured that maybe I shot a plug wire off. Got home, and it was smokin kinda nasty, and there was oil under the hood again sittin all over the ic tubes, and the rest of the left side of the engine. Checked all wires, everything was fine, so I parked it and figured I would check it out later on today. Anyway, On my way to work, car was smokin badly from the exhaust and under the hood. Found a lot of oil in the inlet tube and my k&n was half covered in oil. I also changed the pcv valve yesterday after pressure washing. When I pulled the dipstick half out, and disconnected the tube from the valve cover to the inlet tube, the was white smoke each time I revved it. Also feels/ sounds like there is a stuck or loose rocker arm. My thoughts are maybe I blew a piston ring, or maybe even HG's. The HG's were just done 7k ago, and its a jasper short block with only about 10k on it. Will tear into it a little sunday or tuesday. Any suggestions are appreciated. If it is the HG's, this things for sale. This is all on the 90 merc xr7sc.

Sounds like head gaskets. If a shop did those head gaskets 7k ago, wouldn't they still be under warranty? That's not very long for them to last, they must have either been installed improperly (wrong torque, reused TTY bolts, etc), or something is wrong with the engine (dirty or damaged head/deck surface, warpage, etc.) If you did them yourself, did you get the heads milled and check the block?

BTW why were the head gaskets done just 3k miles after replacing the short block? Sounds like something happened there?

If you changed the PCV valve and accidently unplugged it from the back of the blower (it pulls out easy) you get a lot of blow-by and oil spurts out of the dip stick tube. Also, with all the air leaking out from it, it makes it idle VERY rough if at all and could be the miss you think you hear. The smoke from the back, could very well be oil that is leaking from the back of the blower part of the PCV and its burning off the cats or the exhaust. Check that first before anything else and check to see if by pressure washing the engine, you didnt puddle water places or disconnect other stuff. HG's are a long shot, but if the shop reused the same head bolts (they are torque to yield and arent supposed to be resused because they strech) they might have let go again.

Alex

gaskets

The head gaskets were done by my friend when he worked at mineke. He used all new parts. ARP bolts and felpro gaskets. He did everything exactly to Alldata book specs. He had the heads decked and I think magnafluxed, if I remember right. We also found out at the time that the heads were ported and polished. Whoever originally put the jasper engine in used the regular v6 head gaskets to begin with, thus causing the gaskets to fail at 3500 mile mark on the new engine. Thats when we did them. Now this crap. go figure.

Al35thsc, will check your suggestion. There is a lot of oil in the inlet tube. But just as well, smoke is definately coming out of the exhaust. Filled up the parking lot and bays at work today revving it trying to figure what it could be.

If you changed the PCV valve and accidently unplugged it from the back of the blower (it pulls out easy) you get a lot of blow-by and oil spurts out of the dip stick tube. Also, with all the air leaking out from it, it makes it idle VERY rough

i agree 100 percent, my car has done this, and it idled like *** and smoked alot, turned out to be a worn hose connecting the pcv which after falling off a few times, finally split and had a nasty hole in it which made a REALLY nasty sounding howl at idle which was louder than my horn, lol

Back