My car made a real expensive sound

LikeNew92

My car made a real expensive sound

My good old blue 92 five speed made the first sounds indicating that it may need serious help. 124k miles

The car has always been a little difficult when shifting into 1st or reverse. However, yesterday it was harder than ever. It made some grinding noises (like when you make a real poor shift), and clunk type noises in the rear when shifted gears into 1st or reverse(never had this sound before). I was able to make my short trip by man handling the gears into place.

Today, I went out to my car, hoping that the car had forgotten its nasty ways, only to find out that it was worse than yesterday. I can not even get the car out of neutral! I tried forcing the gears, but it would not go into any of them. It only made louder noises.

The clutch only has about 25k on it

I’m guessing that it is the tranny. What do you guys think? And at around what $$?

Thanks

Alex

It really couldn’t happen at a worse time. I get my degree next Saturday, and then have to move back to the bay area on the following Saturday.

There's a 5 speed being parted

E-Mail a guy whose address is simba300@msn.com he has a ealry model SC that he is parting out see if he still has the tranny..

hope this helps...and congrats on graduation

Rick in FL:cool:

Before u go put out big bux...

Before u go put out big $$'s on a new tranny or tranny rebuild u mihgt wanna get the clutch checked. U ever had a really off, zoney day and tried to shift into first w/out using the clutch? (From a parked position obviously) well, u can't move it newhere, i'd suggest getting the clutch checked... the pedals checked, any connecting cables and joints to make sure its working properly (the pedal neways)

yes check the clutch

Alex I was under the impression you had already checked the clutch but if not..thats deffinitely where you wanna go first!!

Rick in FL:cool:

Thanks for the Tips

I checked the invoice for my replaced clutch and the warranty ran out 5k miles ago. lol

Called a local shop (trans king) and described the problem. They suggested the "putting it in gear and then let the clutch out" test. I can not even get it in gear to do that test.

Is there any difference between going to clutch shop or a tranny shop to have this kind of problem checked out?

The tranny shop guy said that if it was the tranny it would cost 1200 to 2200(for new rebuild). If it is the tranny, it would you guys go with the new rebuild?

Alex

p.s. on my previous clutch repair they did not replace the master cylinder or slave cylinder

if the cars off and you cant even wiggle it into any gear you have big problems, can you lift the shifter stick up and down at all?, maybe the bushings in the shifter went bad?

Don't even bring up the word transmission at a transmission shop when it could b the clutch. They could make way more money doing the tranny and then finding out it was the clutch and sucking u in for both. Get the clutch checked and look over ur bushings like what AsScLoWn said.

EDIT: I read over your first post again...
It made some grinding noises (like when you make a real poor shift)
When u make a "poor shift" and it starts making grinding noises, that means ur not putting the clutch in far enough... whenever my stepfather drives my car after i do (he's got shorter legs so i adjust the seat) sumtimes his short little legs don't put the whole clutch in and it grinds the tranny a bit. check ur clutch!!!

Last edited:
Just a shot in the dark here..

What your problem more than likely is is a bad clutch slave cylinder (most likely), or clutch master cylinder (2nd most likely).

I had this identical problem with my 89 SC. It got progressively harder to shift, almost to the point of not being able to put it in gear at all.

First, check you clutch fluid (located on the driver's side shock tower). If it is low, then your problem is in the hydraulics somewhere, either the master or slave cylinder. The master cylinder is located under the dash on the clutch pedal itself, looks like a little hydraulic ram assembly. if you see any fluid leaking from it, replace it. The slave cylinder is located inside the bell housing of the transmission. It mounts on the input shaft, and can only be changed by dropping the transmission. Your tranmission shop should have done this while installing a new clutch, that is if they were at all knowledgeable in these things. Hell, maybe they actually knew and thought it would just be a matter of time before you came back because the slave cylinder would fail, who knows...

At any rate, to check to see if the slave is leaking, simply fill the clutch reservoir with fluid (dot3 or dot4 brake fluid), and jack up the car. Have someone under the car while you pump the clutch. If you notice any fluid leaking from it, or if you have an unexplainable leak between your bell housing and transmission, then you have found your problem. Of course, there is still the plastic hydraulic line, but it is doubtful that either your clutch hydr. line or you clutch itself has any problems.

Got any other question, feel free to ask.

Phil

Back