Supercharger question

89SCK@t

Ive tried to find the answer to my question...but i cant. anyway, is there anyway to make the supercharger create boost as soon as the car starts up? i know it does, but the bypass(?) valve keeps it from doing that. i want to have 5lbs of boost at start up...hell even to get rid of the vacuum so i sit at 0...any suggestions? this is so that there is no "lag" between 20in vacuum and 0. hopefully im wording this right...my dad suggested something when i called him about this question, but sounded to risky on a daily driver...maybe you guys can help..

thanks
stephen

One thing you might try is to get a friend to help you. One of you sit in the car to watch the boost gauge. The other to reach under the hood to close the bypass valve. Be certain the vehicle is in neutral or park with the handbrake set. Start the engine and leave it at idle. Then have the underhood person manually close the valve while the other notes the effect at the boost gauge. If this does what you want, you could wire the bypass valve closed or disconnect and plug the vacuum line.

Be aware, however, that driving the car with this change will result in less fuel economy because the supercharger will be pumping full time and absorbing more horsepower to do so.

Sounds Dangerous

Going into boost before the engine has reached operating temp and oil is moving to lube the engine components sounds like a recipe for disaster. I hope you have lots of cash for or a spare engine handy b/c I can't see anything good coming from boost at start-up on a cold engine. Good luck

Unless your bypass valve sticks, then in no way does it hamper performance. The biggest thing with the bypass valve is that even fully closed it leaks like a seive. So you could remove the rubber hose and cap off each side.

Besides if you disconnect the line going to the bypass and plug the line it will be closed all the time. You still won't have boost at idle anyway, you would have to spin the blower much faster than it does right now. It would take more than a 10% jackshaft pulley and a 10% SC pulley to do that.

And another thing even with everything said above when you are cruising you will still be on the vacuum side of the gauge. Guess why.

Jeff

Back