brake problems on aniversary bird

jasonfla305

i have been having trouble with my abs and whole brake system...it sees to harden up then go back to normal. I have heard that the sc's come with a special abs pump/brake booster and thats its expensive to replace. IS there anyway that i an maybe convert it to the other system on the normal thnderbirds or where can i find the abs pump/brake booster or if its rebuildable?

Check out the tech forum and describe your problem in detail. Which lights come on, when the problem happens. That type of stuff.

The early SC, which your Aniversary bird is, uses a early ABS system from Teves. It uses a master cylinder that integrates 90% of the ABS system all in one unit.

There are a couple fairly inexpensive and common issues that you can try first. There is also a rebuilt master cylinder available in the aftermarket. Purchasing one from Ford is close to $800. I think the rebuilt unit is running $500.

Swapping out to a "standard" brake system is possible, but would cost at least as much as a rebuilt unit. New master cylinder, new proportioning valve. Some new brake lines. That is if you don't already have a donor car available.

Back