Wierd exsaust sound?

Stelar SC

I have a 94 sc, and i was driving home with my friend behind me, i hit about 5 psi for like 3 seconds and i saw alittle bit of smoke comming out, so i pull over thinking its the head gaskets, but everything is fine, so i goto the back and if you where looking at the back, the left exsaust pipe sounded funny. i ducked down and looked, and it sounded like a hole was in the resinator or soemthing, but i couldent find anything, and now it has this anoying sound to it, but the car runs fine :confused:

Whenever I have some annoying noise emanating from the exhaust area I turn up the radio. So perhaps a better stereo system will fix that exhaust right up?

This may sound strange, but...

Every time I had the harmonic balancer fail on my '92SC, I would experience an unusual "rumble" from the exhaust system along with a slight decrease in performance. Soon after this the tach would bounce a little and then the balancer would snap. I broke three "stockers" before installing a BHJ, and this occured with each failure. This may have nothing to do with what you are experiencing, but due to the difficulty in replacing a broken balancer, it is worth taking a look to see if the balancer bolt is still in place and if there is any wobble in the balancer pulleys. The old "ounce of prevention" idea.

Below the water pump pulley there is a "double set" of drive pulleys (actually one unit that has two different diameter drives). This is bolted to the face of the balancer. In the center of the pulleys there is a bolt and washer that secures the balancer to the crankshaft. That is the bolt that you need to check. If the balancer starts to "walk" off the crankshaft, the bolt will either be broken, loose, or missing. Another way to tell if the balancer is beginning to walk on the shaft is by looking to see if the main drive belt (the one that spins the P/S pump and alternator) is no longer riding in the center of the top belt tensioner. As the balancer slips toward the end of the crankshaft, this belt will tend to ride toward the front edge of the tensioner.
Unfortunately, if the balancer is slipping, you are better off replacing it now before it breaks. It is much easier to remove as a whole unit than to try to remove the sleeve that remains on the crankshaft after the balancer shears off.

But, like I said, this may have nothing to do with the symptoms you are noticing.

Back