Blower seal

jkenn

All- I need some info to help me finish putting my engine back together. The Ford dealership here doesn't seem to know what to use to seal everything that's attached to the blower. Should there be gaskets or a special sealant of some sort?? Also, I have a 1/4 inch crack on the end of inlet pipe between the blower and the intercooler. Any affect if it's just sealed up?? Thanks in advance.

Most use a thin even coat RTV Copper to seal the blower tubes and top although there is a gasket where the plenum attaches to the intake manifold. You may be able to seal the crack in the pipe with JB Weld or something but you can get another 1 from the classifieds pretty cheap. Just remember that they take about 22ft lb. and the flanges have to be ever pressure on both sides. Good luck

I wouldn't because the tolorences are so close and its to hard to clean off once its set. Permatex® Anaerobic Gasket Maker
# 518xx is the best adhesive for that b/c it hardens & seals in the absence of air and comes off very clean and easy. Good luck

Get it from any auto parts place that sells RTV, I think its made by the same company. There are 3 different part numbers but #51817 is the smallest and cheapest but the others are the same but larger. Just spread a thin coat on evenly, it doesn't dry until you thighten up the bolts, so take your time. Good luck

Permatex brand Copper RTV orange......it works on everything from exhaust gaskets to sealing the top onto a supercharger. It will handle the heat, not affected by gas and oil, seals great, sensor safe, dries fast and it's easy to clean off if you ever take it apart again.

I have used this stuff for several years now on numerous teardowns, upgrades and repairs. In all that time I haven't had any leaks, even racing the car 15 minutes after bolting on a raised top.

I too was a firm beliver in the teflon tape and loctite anerobic sealer until trying this stuff.

David

Back