Lost spark from #1 and #4 cylinders.

MN12 KID

Engine be playin' tricks on me.

What's causing this the #1 and #4 to lose spark, then at a random moment, all of the cylinders start working again? I checked the spark activity from the coil pack. This is what happends occasionally - idle drops to a staggering 500RPM, and the only code I'm getting is a 136, which is a running lean code, and 538. As I said before, at a random moment, all the cylinders are working again. WTF? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
Did you get a check engine light? When my DIS was going out, it would drop a coil curcuit (2 cylinders) and run like crap.. then suddenly it would clear up.. that is until it didn't anymore and I replaced the DIS. I got a code 48 I think it was.

1 & 4 are on seperate coils. Did you check if when 4 or 1 is having trouble do 3 or 5 have similar problems? If not it has to be elsewhere.

I'd start with checking over all the DIS and coil pack connectors closely looking for questionable connections. Clean all the contacts and see how it goes from there.

The DIS tells the coil pack when to fire. The EEC tells the DIS when to do things based on readings from the Cam and Crank sensors.

TbirdSCFan said:
Did you get a check engine light? When my DIS was going out, it would drop a coil curcuit (2 cylinders) and run like crap.. then suddenly it would clear up.. that is until it didn't anymore and I replaced the DIS. I got a code 48 I think it was.

I did get a check engine light - however, I didn't get any other Engine Running codes, other than the ones I mentioned.

Back