MP 3 1/2 Intake ?

boosted89SC

Hey guys, I just got a MP 3 1/2 intake from Aurazz SC. Anyways he has a 94-95 SC. Mine is an 89. I went to install it and the box that holds the filter doesnt fit at all. The opening at the bottom is shaped like a thin long oval. The opening it needs to be is a shorter wider oval. Im guessing that the style of filter box on the 89-93 and 94-95 are different. I hacked off the part that supposed to fit into the opening, and it still fits like crap. It works, but the overall fit and orentation of it is just not right. What kind of suggestions do you guys have? On a side note, Do you think I should install the intake before i get my exhaust? Right now its stock with just silencer removed. Im waiting on Bill at SCP to get my headers from Kooks so I can do my exhaust. Ive heard that I should get more air out of the engine before putting more in. So should I install it and wait a few weeks for my exhaust to get done or wait untill after to put it on. I definatly dont want to put anymore stress on my hg's. Thanks for the help fellas.

Jay

you have three ways to go...

1] WAIT, 2] don't drive it..3] WAIT some more.... not to be a smart a$$ but if you push too much into the engine and don't give it a way out, it will find a way and it will cost you $$$.. You are doing the right stuff, so just wait till you get that exhaust done the right way... As for the fit, I can't help you there,maybe some pic's of what you got will help explain it better....Rich

BoostedSC~ This may be silly but break out a box cutter & start slicing that oval hole on your brand new filter box as big a you need in order to cover your old filter hole. Then just try to cram it in there. That is probably the best you can get out of the box setup. As for installing those items prior to the exhaust. I wouldn't worry too much. Over the course of a week or two you shouldn't do any damage. It's not like your spinning the charger faster or anything. So until you start demanding more air from that intake through a smaller SC pulley, then you won't be affected.

Anthony

Well that box....

That filter box is NOT meant for an SC. I had the same one and it fit like crap. The bottom is not one that is exact for the car. I hoped that they would improve on this, oh well. My opinion would be to try to get it fit in there. The seal is NOT IMPORTANT!!!
I've actually seen HP decreases with this intake due to poor air flow. Just my .02 and again, the most important thing on these cars is cold air AFTER THE BLOWER!!!!!! The blower increase air temps and for every 1 degree of temp drop, you gain 1.5% of gross HP. Do the math!!!!! An IC fan is the way to go on a stock unit and if you can, go with the FMIC or a double intercooler. These will decrease air temps and therefore, increase HP . Go with opened exhaust BEFORE any other mods. Increased airflow into these cars increases pressure on HG's.

Good luck and drive hard........

Hey Anthony, How's the tranny????

Don

:D

:D

I have seen a HP loss with that box on a car too right on the dyno the guy pulled the box off and gained 10 HP. makes you wonder what people are really selling to us??

Boosted89sc

I'm confused..are you saying that you bought an MP 3.5" intake tube from someone and your trying to install it in place of the stock black plastic tube, using the stock Air box, MAF and TB ? If that is what your doing, it ain't gonna fit. If your talking about a March style air box with a cone filter they never fit very good.

As far as will it hurt your car because of too much air going in without upgrading the exhaust. No it won't...because without upgrading the MAF and TB, installing the 3.5" intake tube isn't going to do anything to improve air flow.

David

Last edited:
HP Gains

It's true, one of our members picked up close to 10 HP in back to back dyno runs after removing the "March" box.
Consensus was that the unshrouded filter picked up more air, fair enough. Now this was on the dyno with the hood open.
In actual driving conditions, the box will allow cooler air into the filter from the fender-well area & you will likely see a performance increase over the "un-boxed" filter sucking in the hot underhood air!!
F.W.I.W.

Thanks for your info guys, Dave I should have explained in more detail, I have the march style box. Thats what makes it all out of wack. I didnt want to leave the filter open to hot air, so I cut the bottom flange opening flush with the box. The box is just not shaped properly to fit where it should be. It works but part of the box just clears the hood and the maf is almost in the hood liner. I only really want to install the intake because I need some whine. Every video ive seen the whine can be heard loud and clear, not mine. Maybe everyone ive seen has a Mac or ZR, but for some reason i have barely any whine. I guess I will install it again and just try and take it easy for a few weeks. Thanks again

Jay

Back