Whats the best sub I can fit in the stock box???

sizemoremk

How about it??

And what aftermarket door/rear speakers with work without modification?

I got a 35th and want to keep the original head unit and amps...

"Best" is a subjective term and everyone will have different opinions on this... however, here's what I did:

I replaced the stock 6.5" with a Kenwood KFCW2005 8" driver. This requires a little bit of modification to the enclosure but it wasn't hard to do.

I ported the opening to the full size of the "D" port, and also had to trim the rear support post (the new driver is taller/deeper than the OEM driver). To increase the accoustical volume of the stock enclosure, I completely filled it with fiberglass.

This enclosure is on the small side (0.37 cu/ft) and choosing a driver that will work well is a bit tough. Most manufacturers will give a min/max enclosure size for the driver.

Here is a pic of the driver I installed...

Attachments

• kfcw2005side.jpeg
    kfcw2005side.jpeg
    4.7 KB · Views: 257
sizemoremk said:
Exactyl what is a driver???

A Driver would be that Nut Behind the Steering Wheel, Not sure what the Torque Specification is though..

hahahaha!!

sizemoremk said:
Exactyl what is a driver???

Honestly though.. That is the Term for a Speaker... go figure.. anyway..

I hope you get your question answered.. it seemed pretty clear... but everyone seems to be giving you ideas on what to do, so you have to make modifications..

Personally I would just see if you can find Speakers that are the same size an dimensions of the Stock ones are..

Then stick with good brand names Like

JBL

or some others

Kenwood
Pioneer
Rockford Fosgate
Alpine

Like I said... I would choose one that is in the stock size you are looking for (as you stated that) an go with the manufacture that makes what you need...

I had experience with this one.. I put replacement speakers in my car of the same size that came out of it (93 Cougar) made no difference in sound.. other than maybe a little more crisp.. as the speakers were new...

So unless you are going to go all out with new amps, cross overs.. blahh blahh blahh.. it doesn't really matter

Hope that helped a little better, rather than my smart a** comment.. hehehe..

miine a re just getting old...

As I recall on my first SC of same sound system, voume al the way up sounded clear. Now volume at even 3/4 or so sounds unclear and crackles a little.

As I change balance and fade, all speakers seem a bit degraded by now...

The Radio shack one of the same size is a woffer, not a subwoffer, I was curious if there were any other speakers used without modificatoin to the outside of the box...

I thought driver may have been a different variety of speaker.

I just replaced mine with a rockford fosgate punch HE 6.5" sub.
I ordered it at thezeb.com and i got it in 2 days. it is designed as a sealed box enclosure so seal it around the seam with some clear silicone. mine sounds great with no distortion.

I read that the stock sub was 6 ohms, is this so???

And I am assuming that the 4 ohm version of this would be what I would want.... is that what you used???

Anyone have any suggestions on the other four speakers???

will a set of regular 2 way pioneers do???

Go to a store and listen to different speakers to see what you like.

I did cheapo model Boston Acoustics.

Dale, looks like you got your hood on. I really have to come see that sometime. Looks awesome in the sig.
Julian

Hello. If it is your intention to use the stock amplifier, do not go lower than what the stock sub is rated for. Doing so will lower impedance & hence draw too much current from your amp, frying it.

As for what sub, I believe JL Audio makes a subwoofer which fits this application. These subs are efficient & should do fairly well off the stock amp. You can also go to www.partsexpress.com and see what they have in stock which would fit.

Because the speakers are running off of stock amplifier power, I recommend Infinity's reference series. These speakers are very efficient as far as aftermarket goes, have excellent sound quality, and have warm tweeters which aren't too bright. They should do well. If you have an interest in sound quality, I recommend getting 1 component set for your front doors rather than two coaxials. This will make stereo imaging much better & make your music sound more like it was intended. Otherwise, the Reference series coaxials are fine for simplicity.

This website is an excellent resource for this topic, and would probably benefit you tremendously: www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2

sizemoremk: Ok man here is my advice. First off, it sounds to me like your not looking to really overhaul or upgrade your SC's stereo and speakers, you simply want to replace the stock speakers with a good aftermarket replacement. My suggestions would be to do plenty of research first off. Try and visit a local car audio store and see what kinda speakers you like the best. And please stay away from Radio Shack for car audio - you will be dissapointed with the crap they sell. Secondly, I highly reccomend the following web site in helping you research: www.sounddomain.com. That site has a very good car audio message board that you can check out to find all types on good info on car audio. Thirdly, buying your speakers over the internet is a great way to save some cash. Try web sites like: ikesound.com, www.thezeb.com, and www.mmxpress.com. All of these have low prices and good selections. sounddomain has a good shopping section as well. As far as what speakers to go with, I suggest kicker and infinity. Both brands make quality products that will fit in your factory speaker locations. I would shy away from the pioneer, kenwood, and rockford fosgate speakers, but thats just a personal opinion. And for the subwoofer, I personally wasn't happy with the stock subs sound, so I upgraded to a Kicker sub. However, if you are wanting to keep things stock, I'm sure you can find something that will work in your car. Good luck in your search and if you hit any snags or have any more questions related to car audio, feel free to email me or post here on the board.

My 95 has plastic spacers in the door which are sized for 6x8 speakers. The guys at Best buys told me they were 5x7... go figure. I replaced mine with Pioneer 6x8.
I think if you removed the stock plastic spacers there might be mounting holes for a 5x7. I'm not sure if my 93 has the same size or what.

Back