just saw the new GTP

scbird1

Just sitting at a light when the car next to me revs. Now it looked like a maxima so I thought. We go, hit second we both spinnin wheels and at 70 I let off and hes about 1 1/2 cars behind me. At the next light he passes and sure enough its a brand new GTP with the sticker still on the window with DL plates. Must have been a demo. I have a few mods but I heard these were faster than the old ones? The old guy was smileing and shaking his head up and down as he passed. This was better than my last run when a guy in a 2001 stang with 4 people in the car handed me my a** by 4 cars but he said he put 4 grand into his motor.
Who knew. I thout I at least had a chance with 4 people in the car
even know it sounded like a prostock.

The newest GTPs have similar specifications to the older style except for an additional 20 horsepower. I've wondered if these cars actually would be faster than an SC with less torque (280 ft lbs) & an auto.

As for that 2001 stang, the 8cyl GTs were stock with 260 bhp & I think around 285 ft lbs. Weigh much less than a new GTP though.

Last edited:
This did not look like the old GTPs. It looked more like the bonaville SSE or something. Just me but I like the old body style better.

I think what I dislike the most about the newest style is that they are now only available in 4 door trim! I dislike 4 doors, think 2 doors look much better. As for passengers, the front pas can move their seat to let ppl in back. Not that much effort to do in my opinion.. and certainly not worth sacraficing the looks for.

Wow, he ran a brand new car like that, not even broken in? Treat it like that and that car will never be a threat. Probably a car salesman out for a spin, surely. I think they (last ones and new ones) are supposed to be good for 13's with minimal mod's. If only they weren't wrong wheel drive and didn't look like every other Pontiac out there. Glad they dropped the cladding, but now they just look totally devoid of styling.

Good kill.

New GTP

At work, we make the instrument panels for the grand prix and I've been seeing them for a while now at GM but I still can't get used to the new styling. One thing that they have that is cool is the shift paddles on the steering wheel. You can tap these paddles on the wheel and shift up or down.

They will soon be putting V8s in them and the Monte Carlo also. But their still FWD. Probably the most exciting new thing coming out of GM is the XLR Caddy. It's very well made and it's got a stiff frame and good engine. and RWD. But they're $75K.

new GTP's are slower and the times i have seen have been mid to high 15's.

I have seen differently. Usually the ones I see run low to mid 15's at the track. Usually around the 15.2-15.3 area. Some higher. I have 4 videos on my computer, all of a new and stock GTP running a 14.9, 15.0, and 15.1. So I am guessing that extra 20 HP did something.

Dan, where exactly in Milford are you? What color is your SC? I have seen an older black one, with some teenagers driving it.

4 door

I heard Pontiac did away with the 2-door GTP a couple of years ago.
I would of seriously considered one recently when I purchased a car.

4-doors = NO SALE

I can't stand them, but that's just me.

Re: 4 door

Phil Kuhn said:
I heard Pontiac did away with the 2-door GTP a couple of years ago.
I would of seriously considered one recently when I purchased a car.

4-doors = NO SALE

I can't stand them, but that's just me.

I agree completely.

4 doors, 2 doors, what difference does it make when they are Wrong Wheel Drive? that's the REAL problem with them!

"They are pretty looking" is what my wife said, about the new GTP, I told her dont even think about it, since we bought a 2000 Regal GS Supercharged 4 months ago, with a few mods now i can, (she can smoke a new automatic Mustang GT she also confirmed to me.) I wouldnt trade the regal though, maybe because we only owe $2,000 on it.

IMO the old GTP's were a very nice looking car. Now if they were RWD they would have actualy have a little bit going on for them. When they first came out, I had wanted one so bad. But after I finally drove one, and spent some time in it, I really didn't like the car. It felt cheap, even though it had every option. They don't feel as fast as a SC because of the lesser torque. A manual would be a nice option. I still plan on someday building a RWD GTP with a V8.

The new styling is ghey. It looks like every other Pontiac. They screwed with a good thing and fukked up. A redesign was due, but they went the wrong direction.

Now that Regal GS, I have spent some time behind the wheel of one of those, and though it is really the same car as the GP, it feels a bit more expensive. Not a bad car for wrong wheel drive. They look pretty bad too. People don't like to lose to Buicks.

-Steve

My wife loves the car (Regal GS), she says it will smoke both my SC's anyday, in which she will (for now), top speed is a different thing i tell her. Also if it wasnt for the intake, downsized pulley, exhaust, and the eec tuner that car would be right beside me. Overall i like both of them and wouldnt mind smoking the tires on the new GTP.

Back