My car just up and died. . . now it won't start

TheNuthing

Ok...heres my problem, and a little bit of background. I just got my car back a week ago or so...it had a lil accident due to my sister, but it was just a lil front end damage, nothing major. So im driving it yesterday, and it sputtered, hesitated and died. I tried to start it a bunch of times, to no avail, and it had to get towed home. It seems like its not getting fuel. I guess the filters and fuel pump are the first things to check. I'd like to know if there are any good tests or things i could do to diagnose the problem before i drop my tank.

I just replaced the Cam Sensor about 2 months ago...so thats not my starting problem, and that shouldnt make the car die while running.

Anyways, it seems pretty self explanitory, but i figured id post just to see if any of you guys had some pearls of wisdom to kick down to me. If you do, let me know. Thanks.

Shift light

If your shift light stays on "Amber in color" while trying to start it could very well be the crank sensor...This is a VERY common fix for your scenario...

Also, you are gonna narrow your problem WAY down if you run codes...

Brad

If you think it is fuel .Maybe the fuel breaker switch in the trunk
tripped after the fender bender .IF your lucky maybe you can
push the reset button in the trunk on the driver side fender
behind the carpet.

Well, it's got to be one of four things:

1. Fuel
2. Air (Compression)
3. Spark
4. All the above things have to happen at the right time (timing).

It might seem that breaking it down like that is too simple, but yet, you have to get down to the basics when it won't start. Usually I ask myself, what did I just do to the car? This, 99.9% of the time points out the problem. But, you did mention it had been in an accident. And I agree with Randy & Connie that it might be your electronic fuel shut off in the trunk. But, if it were that, I would guess that it would have hardly made it out of the body shop before dieing. But, I am not 100% sure about that.

Thanks for the tips. I havnt got a chance to work on it so far because of work and such, but as soon as i get into it and find out whats going on, ill be sure to post whats up.

First thing to check is the fuel relay shutoff in the trunk like Randi/Connie suggested. Anythime you have an impact, it can get tripped. Thats likely your problem.

Check for spark after you check for fuel. If no spark then check the BIG bolt in the center of the crank pulley. If there isn’t one there then you need a new dampner assembly and a new crank sensor.

Jeff

Check that HB bolt...

As you have probably already done, check to make sure your harmonic balancer bolt is there!!

Phil

In fact, put a wrench on the crank bolt,
and make sure it is real tight.
Or drop the belts,
and try turning the motor by the crank pulley.

My balancer sheared even with the crank seal,
bolt was still in place, outer ring intact;
took a few days to find it,
because it "looked" like it was OK.

Back