extrude honed

lessonintorque

Ok so im gonnna get my spare set of heads ported, but instead of the hassle of doing it myself (It was a pain last time!) I think im gonna suck it up and hand over a grip of cash to have them extrude honed. Ive read up on the process and talked to the extrude folks and im ALMOST completely sold on the idea. My question is has anyone else had this done? Im sure it will produce beautiful power but I want a testimonial before spending all that cash. Now these heads are not going in my SC they are going in my project 3.8 SC/RX-7 And if Im pleased Ill do it to my SC also. So if anyone has had expierience with it let me know. Thanks in advance for any feed back, good or bad. I aprieciate it. Mike Yates lsn n trq:cool:

I think extrude hone would be good on parts that cannot be reached with
a die grinder or 5 axis machining.
I have more of a ? than answer.Do you think that in cases were the heads
would need weld build up to change flow,for more CFM or the same CFMs
but higher velocities.Do you think the extrude hone can do this.The extrude hone
will hog out a port for more CFMs ,but for a street motor that has a larger RPM
range to opperate in, were you need to keep a high velocities,would the extrude hone
do that.

Common since tell me that extrudtion hone would take the easiest path ,the same
that air flow would like.So it would be good.But I have found sometimes common
since dosen't apply to head porting when keeping velocities up and gaining CFMs at the same time.
when you are just looking for big CFMs it is to just make the straightest path for the air.
Thats great for a blown top fuel motor.And that is what extrution would do.

But with the extrution hone ,will you be able to keep the port shape needed
for velocities.

I think extrution hone would be best for manifolds,IC trubes,ect. Parts that need
more CFMs.

Extrudtion honeing heads i think would be better done by the head porter like Stiegemeier

thanks for the viewpoint...

thank you for the view point, that was what I wanted. Im actually surprised at how much sense that made. Im gonna do the porting myself, I cant possibly bring myself to pay someone else though. My father taught me to port so If he found out I was lazy and paid for it he would kill me!! But I like your idea about the intake manifold, I gasket matched the manifold on my SC to match the port plus I polished the hell out of it, but Im gonna try the honing on the Rx-7. Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks for your time, I aprieciate it!:cool:

I knwo someone who had stock intake extrude honed and it cracked..However onmy stang I had teh stock intake extrude honed and it outflowed a gt40 intake with more equalization of airflow throught runners ..How much they say for head extrude?

Back