battery cable question

sprchkn

quick one
does the negative battery cable have to have a ground on it
i dont remember my stock one having it but when i changed them the new cable had what looked like a ground wire comming off of it where it connected at the battery.
the reason im asking is because im putting new terminal connectors on and i need to know wether or not i need this ground part. if not then it will be hacked off.
any help would be appreciated, thanks.

My 90 sc has one .The small ground wire is bolted in front of the battery,
on the cross member next to the rectangle white sticker .

I just replaced both of my connectors tonight, in fact. Not the whole cable either. You can cram both of the wires in to a new connector and tighten it down good.

Dale

If you haven't noticed, our engine bay is heavily grounded. Ground from the battery to the chassis. Then the chassis has two big ground wires going to the motor on either side.

Along with the DIS unit, some of the other sensors use what they are bolted to for ground so grounding is important on the car.

don't just replace the terminals (i'm assuming you mean those cheesy clamp one ones that all parts stores sell) Replace the whole cable, you will get corrosion and in a couple years or less have a bad connection if you use the clamp on terminal. There is a reason they are called 'temporary repair' terminals....they are not good to leave on there....

Back