Emergency Brake and ABS Light stay on

SpaceGhost

for like 4-5 seconds after I start the car and take off the emergency brake. Probably nothing big, just wondering if anyone knew why this is happening

Next time before you start the car just turn the key on, wait 10 seconds and then start the car. Does the ABS and BRAKE light go off more quickly?

If so, the slow light going off on the ABS is just a sign that the ABS pump is taking longer to build system pressure than typical. This can be due to many things:

Weak pump.
Dirt in the brake fluid blocking an orifice.
Low brake fluid.
Weak Brake Accumulator.

First question, what year SC do you have?

How long was the car sitting before you turned the key?

Have you noticed any other symptoms from the system?

It doesn't sound like you have any problems at this point, but I don't know enough about the specific circumstances from your original post....

LJGriggs said:
First question, what year SC do you have?

How long was the car sitting before you turned the key?

Have you noticed any other symptoms from the system?

It doesn't sound like you have any problems at this point, but I don't know enough about the specific circumstances from your original post....

1991. It usually sits for a few hours or over night. No, I haven't noticed any other symptoms. It just started doing this about 2 weeks ago.

And Mike, I will do that next time I start my car.

As long as the lights go out and never come on again while the car is running... everything is OK. This is normal. The system is being pressurized when you turn the key on, and the pressure decreases when the car is off.
If the lights flash while driving, then you have a problem somewhere.

TbirdSCFan is correct....

I just wanted to make sure this was the Teves Mark II ABS (with the accumulator). The Brake and ABS indicators will remain on at initial start-up until the system is fully pressurized. If you begin to notice that they stay on for a longer period of time, you might have some air in the system (air compresses much more than brake fluid, so it takes longer to reach system operating pressure). If you get the ABS and Brake indicators flashing ON then OFF whenever you apply the brakes, the accumulator has failed. This is a situation that should be corrected (by replacing the accumulator) to prevent the hydraulic pump from failing do to overcycling (which causes overheating).

brake warnings

Thanks, guys!

I am having similar problems with my 90SC. The pump runs every time the brake is applied, even when applied very lightly. I will try to bleed them out to see if I have any air first. (The car has done this since I got it, so I don't know if prior brake work was done properly.)
While driving, if brakes are stabbed suddenly, I get the ABS and brake warnings briefly, but brakes seem to work OK otherwise. I'll be looking for an accumulator soon, I think.
Thanks, again.

Re: brake warnings

k2k2 said:
While driving, if brakes are stabbed suddenly, I get the ABS and brake warnings briefly, but brakes seem to work OK otherwise. I'll be looking for an accumulator soon, I think.
Thanks, again.
Your accumulator needs to be replaced. Your power brakes are fine for a while but FYI, you have no ABS for now and no rear brakes. Check it out on a wet surface.

Be sure to check the length of the accumulator nipple if you purchase the Ford part. Otherwise, if you buy the priorreman part it will fit both fittings.

Here's the Ford P/Ns:
ABS Accumulator
P/N E8OY-2C231-A (nipple length= (15.25-15.75)mm (.600-.620)in)
P/N E8OY-2C231-B (nipple length= (11.90-12.10)mm (.476-.469)in)
Check out http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com/ and http://www.fivestarford.com/

And also, before you remove the current accumulator, depress he brake pedal 20 times to relieve the pressure. You'll also need to remove the wiper arms and remove or loosen the plastic piece under the driverside wiper arm to gain clearance to remove the part.

Thanks TBirdSCFan!

This last wekkend, while driving on a partially wet, super-slippery road, the brakes behaved very badly.
Felt like I had no rear brakes...
Thanks for the help!
Scott

accumulator

Oh my gosh everybody! I can now stop this car! :D
Changed out the accumulator. No more warning lights, pump runs (for 6-8 sec) about every 6th brake application. ABS seems to be working well. I can really haul it down now. I'm just sorry I didn't fix it long ago. Thanks again!
Scotty

Back